I seem to be only able to read children's books right now. This book was our religion read aloud, these past few weeks. I had planned to read it two years ago when Hannah was staying in Rome with the University of Dallas. So I'm a little late. I knew nothing about this particular saint and picked up this book at a used book sale. It is a Vision book. I think Becky and Sean found it fairly interesting. I found it very much so. It is a little bit cloying and dated but for the most part it is well written. It is an older hard back edition and in the back it has the little manilla pocket with a library card stuck in it that used to be the way we checked out library books. There is a stamp on the back that says St. Mary of Celle School Library. First of all, I've never heard of St. Mary of Celle. Secondly, where do you think it might have been located? The last person to read it was Kim O'Conner, January 29. I wonder what year? The book was published in 1957. I wonder how Kim is doing today?
St. Philip was known for his patient perseverance and his cheerfulness (also his ecstasies, healings, visions and levitations). I think it was good to read about him to my often complaining, disgruntled children. I don't know how much scratched the surface, but I am praying some of it penetrated!
One funny thing is that I never knew the origins of the word Oratory. St. Philip seems to have founded them. At the same time I was reading about this to the kids, I was kind of daydreaming about going to England for our upcoming 25th wedding anniversary (in November). I was looking at different hotels in London and I stumbled on one that said it was a very short walk to the Brompton Oratory! This just after finding out what an Oratory is! Do you think that is a sign that we should go to England for our big anniversary? I am certainly reading it as such!
So I am glad I finally read the book and learned about St. Philip Neri. And now I am wondering what our next religion read aloud should be. Any suggestions?
For more book reviews go to 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
This sounds like a wonderful read aloud, great review!
ReplyDeleteOh, most obviously, definitely a sigthst you should come to England :)
ReplyDeleteSigthst??? Sign!
ReplyDelete