Lately I've just felt completely snowed under by life! I stopped going to facebook thinking it would help free up more time and it did. But like sand filling in a hole you're digging, that free time got swallowed up by other things, somehow. Anyway, here we are, it's already January 13th and I am justing posting book 1 for my 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge. I started reading another book (hopefully that will be Book 2 or maybe 3) on January 1st, however, just before I finished it I managed to mislay it. I found it again several days later. And I still haven't finished it. Ah well. Enough of that.
Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle is a lovely story, It is set in the dark ages of Medieval Germany among the feuding robber barons. Otto is the gentle son born to the ferocious Baron Conrad Veulph and raised in a monastery until his father comes to get him to teach him how to carry on the Veulph name. Great suspense, tragedy and heroism ensue.
Pyle writes exquisitely. He captures those olden days so well, his characters are beautifully and fully drawn in a sparse way. Pyle uses quaint language so skillfully and vivid descriptions of castles and armor, that the reader is completely transported to these days of old. One of the loveliest things about this book is its illustrations. Howard Pyle was an awesome illustrator that even Vincent van Gogh admired! He started the Brandywine School of Art which included his students such as N.C.Wyeth and Jessie Wilcox Smith.
This book is part of a fun project I've been launched on. I am exploring possible books to be used next year for Aquinas Learning's Schola Alta I program. I am definitely putting this book on my recommended list!
Two thumbs up! For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Sounds interesting and since we are studying medieval times, would be a great read with my son.
ReplyDeleteYou can get this one as a free download for Kindle or Nook. just and FYI. Great book! My kids loved it!
ReplyDelete