Today has felt really rough. So I thought I'd journal it a bit.
First of all I am kind of emotional dealing with Sean's depression and ADD. The psychologist is pushing high school for him next year. At first I was trying to be open minded; after all we were planning to send him to Trinity this year but it didn't work out (for the best!), but now looking at these other possible high schools, I'm thinking I don't really trust them to give him a good education and I think they'll create more stress and possibly bad influences, etc. I'm not happy.
So this a.m. I tried to be more structured. Got Sean and Josh up at a good time, got them to eat some breakfast. Becky was her usual bear self in the a.m. trying to pick a fight for the first 45 minutes or so. But I kept my cool. She ate a bit. I read some more of St. Philip of the Joyous Heart. Sean did copy work before breakfast, Becky did hers afterwards.
Josh and Sean didn't do any math between M and today but they seemed to have had a good session with the tutor at 10 a.m.
Becky and I started on the second book of Key To geometry which is on circles. We just practiced trying to draw circles with the inadequate compasses we have. For fractions we worked on greatest common factors again. Becky so needs to memorize her times tables but won't. She's foolishly stubborn like that!
Oh, Sean's heart was really racing for about an hour or more last night and it was still racing this morning (or racing again), so I called the psychiatrist while we were out taking our morning exercise. It is a big effort to get people out there for exercise. I am trying to do it around 11 a.m. every morning. The day was so gloomy and not nearly as warm as the weather guys had predicted. Josh drove to the bike path and went jogging he says, but unfortunately with that boy I never know. He could have sat in the car listening to his ipod the whole time.
The psychiatrist called back and said he didn't think it was the Concerta because it (the racing heart) started after it was supposed to have worn off. But I think taking a stimulant every day has got to have something to do with a racing heart! Seems obvious! So I called the pediatrician who said don't give him any more stimulants and bring him in tomorrow. Today his heart rate has been a times in the 80s but also up as high as 137 or 'medium' at 114.
Woke W and H up around noon. I was waiting for the dr to call back. Sean was craving Chipotle. Since he didn't take the concerta he was suddenly very hungry. So I gave in and said we could get chipotle for lunch. I woke W up, made him a cup of coffee and then sent him off to get lunch. We all ate lunch late (around 1 or so). After eating I tried to read catechism to S but I started falling asleep. I always need a nap in the afternoon and with the cloudy dull weather and the big bean and rice burrito, I was really sleepy. So I tried to crawl into bed to sleep. TWice I almost drifted off just to have an offspring come into the room for one reason or another. So I gave up napping. I was lying in bed hoping that J was actually working on his paper. Sean came up and started working on his Latin in bed with me. IN the meantime Hannah, Will and Becky went to Target. Will really needs some jeans. And the others were going to buy things like socks and underwear.
S and I were having a terrible time with the Latin. It was really hard and he couldn't concentrate and my brain is dull as dishwater today. So it was painful and I wound up typing in the sentences into the laptop, translating them and THEN figuring out how each sentence worked and where we were stumped.
Josh gave up on his paper. Hopefully, right now he's either reading Physics or reading To Kill a Mockingbird. S still has catechism and writing to finish but he's taking a break while I write this.
I'm going to make a cup of coffee and somehow work up enough brain power to get through the remaining subjects! Sean is going in late to Aquinas tomorrow anyway because of the drs. appointment.
Anyway it has been a dreary slow day. The whole afternoon I just wanted to curl up on the couch and watch old movies or something.
Lord give me strength and patience.
I hope you're feeling some of that strength and patience that He's sending you, Faith. I'm sorry it was such a tough day. I think being a mom is the most challenging job in the world. Hugs to you!
ReplyDelete