I am continuing to pre-read possible selections for our Medieval studies next year. This week I read Geraldine McCaughrean's retelling of The Canterbury Tales published by Puffin Classics. I have a confession to make. I have never enjoyed the actual Canterbury Tales. They are too cynical, bawdy and slapstick to my tastes. I recognize on an intellectual level why they are so important to the development of English literature. I understand what a wonderful window they give us into that time and place, but I still don't care for them.
However, Geraldine McCaughrean does a wonderful job of retelling these stories. They are not dumbed down. The author is a good writer and is able to capture the flavor of the old language while still making things easily accessible to the modern child. Thankfully, the bawdiness is reduced and tactfully handled so that they are appropriate for middle school children. I don't know when I've enjoyed The Canterbury Tales more.
So this version goes on my recommended list for next year.
For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Cynical, bawdy and slapstick about sums up the English. Seriously! Geraldine McCaughrean is good, isn't she. I always enjoy her retellings.
ReplyDeleteI bought 3 different versions of The Canterbury Tales for my 12 year old to read last year. This was by far the best retelling. GM always seems to do a good job. We like her here, too.
ReplyDeleteI bought this one but haven't read it yet. Now I'll have to move it up in the stacks and give it a go.
ReplyDelete