Friday, September 16, 2011

What We've Been Up To 9/16/11

Our fall schedule has started up in almost full swing.  I know we are just getting acclimated to it, but, whew!  Maybe we kinda overdid it.

Monday - Read The Village Blacksmith and The Children's Hour by Longfellow to Becky and Sean.  Sean finds him too kitschy.  Read about the Mass, The Last Supper and the Paschal Mystery.
Sean and Becky did some math - still review, mostly about reading really big numbers.  Sean took a quiz on conjugating the present, imperfect and future of 1st and 2nd conjugation verbs.  Did well.  Becky had her first American Heritage Girls meeting of the year.  She earned a sewing badge (she sewed a hat in 4H last spring) and music performance badge for learning the trumpet and being in a show at music camp this summer.  She was very happy to be restarting AHG again.  She loves it.

Josh and I had Latin class. We had a quiz to review active and passive verbs in present and perfect systems.  I did okay but was a little shaky on a couple of the passive ones.  Josh didn't finish the quiz so has to retake it.  He says he just blanked on some of it.  Josh read some of the play Julius Caesar and did Chemistry homework.  He also finally finished the Precalculus he'd started the past Monday (we ran into some snafus) and scanned and sent it to Mr. Owens.

Tuesday - Read more about Physics in Exploring the World of Physics to Becky and Sean.  Still talking about Aristotle and Galileo.  Did some more math and Latin.  In the afternoon took Josh to Chemistry class and Becky to her art class.  She was soooo happy to see her friends.

Sean basically just vegged around the house and was bored by the end of the day.

Josh had cross country.   He and I worked on Latin homework.  We had lots of it plus had to study for another quiz.

Wednesday - Josh and I were crazy busy trying to finish up our Latin which we couldn't do.  Yikes!  Sean watched the next lesson in Latin for Children.  Becky practiced a little penmanship and did a little math.

Latin class again - Josh and I both got A's on our demonstratives quiz.  Teacher realized she'd given too much homework and figured out a more equitable policy.  Hurrah for fair teachers!

Josh finished reading Julius Caesar.

Wednesday afternoon - I went over to the church where we are holding our Aquinas Learning Center and prepared it as much as I could.  Wednesday evening Josh went to CLC.  Sean got a long playdate over at his friend's house.  He was happy.

Thursday - First day of our Aquinas Learning Center - it went really, really well.  The kids were happy and excited.  The mentors were real troopers who really muddled through splendidly.  Becky loved it so much.  The minute she came home she did her IEW and cursive homework!  Then when her dad got home that night, she took it out and showed him everything.  I was exhausted and had to immediately get Josh to cross country.  Sean and Josh are just doing their own thing in an extra room at the church while I run around making sure things are running smoothly and setting/cleaning things up.  Josh did his precalc and wrote his essay for his Shakespeare class.  Sean did his math and read his science lesson.  Sean also helped out with the preschoolers.  Then after lunch Sean and Josh went across the street to the library.  Sean read another chapter in Journey to the Center of the Earth as well as some book on comedy that he picked up at the library.  I'm not sure what Josh did.

I really love that Josh is getting into running.  He realizes that spending all his time in front of a computer is not a good thing.  He wants to increase his endurance.  He says he thinks he's the third fastest running in the group but that he gets winded more easily.  So he's just got to work on getting in shape.  The coaches (a homeschooling couple) are really super nice.  Unfortunately, he 's the only 16 yo boy in the group.  There are several girls his age and several younger boys (like 13 or so).  But I'm glad Josh isn't letting that bother him.

Another sign that Josh is coming out of his shell.  He asked me if we could host a get together for his weekly teen church group.  So they are coming over Saturday evening for pizza, pool and video games.

Today (Friday) - I hope to read Sunday's scripture out loud to Becky and Sean and then do Sean's science experiments from Rainbow Science.  Also a little math and Latin.  Maybe go over the memory sentences from Aquinas Learning.  Josh has Chemistry from 8:30 to noon!!!  Then he's got Shakespeare from 1 to 3.  Becky and Sean have their first tennis class today as well.

One thing that didn't get done this week was Josh's Psychology.

No comments:

Post a Comment