This book was an impulse selection from our local library. I grabbed it off the shelf simply because the illustrations reminded me of N.C.Wyeth's style. When I got home I opened the book and to my delight, it begins with a quote from G. K. Chesterton!
Stand up and keep your childishness,The book contains many quotes from Robert Ingpen that give a lot of background for his paintings and illustrations and reveal his philosophy and technique. He comes off as a charming man in love with beauty.
Read all the pedant's screeds and strictures,
But don't believe in anything
That can't be told in pictures.
Well, now I'm enthralled with Mr. Ingpen's drawings. They are gorgeous! Here are some samplings:
| Very N. C. Wyeth here -Yeoman from Canterbury Tales |
| Robinson Crusoe |
| Great Wall of China |
| Machu Pichu |
| Noah's Ark in the Deluge |
| I love this one of the Crucifixion. Jesus is on the far left. |
Robert Ingpen has illustrated many classic stories from Bible stories to Alice in Wonderland and Tom Sawyer and more. I'm going to keep my eye out for these editions!
For more book reviews see Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment