Friday, November 23, 2018

Friday 11/23/18 Housekeeping Update

Not much to report.  I've been under the weather for the last two weeks so parts of the house are in pretty bad shape, but some things did get done.

1)  I cleared off the dining room table which was covered in books, papers, random dishes and other things we don't know quite where to put.  I also bought new placemats and a table runner for the big table.  The tablecloth I bought a couple years ago had gotten so stained, and then when I realized we needed a cover for our family room couch because of Skipper, the new puppy, the tablecloth officially transitioned into that.  I feel kind of put together now that I have these placemats.  I plan to have different table runners for different holiday occasions.

2)  I did tidy up the porch again and finally dog proofed it so the dog can not go out there and get into gardening stuff and spread dirt and chewed up plastic pots all over the place.

3)  I bought a new rug for the entrance area.  Something I'd been meaning to do for months. 

4)  There were not one but two lights out in our family room which R changed before Thanksgiving.  That was nice. 

5)  Another thing R did was to order this new kind of air filter for me.  I wake up every day with a bit of a sinus headache.  I really think I'm a little allergic to dust.  With this air filter and my new dust allergy pillow cover, guess who has been waking up headache free????    We also got some super duper charcoal filters to go into B's air filter in her room.  To help with the black mold.  For all I know, I too react to black mold and that's what has been giving me headaches.  Though honestly, I have suffered in many houses that I've lived in.  So it might just be dust.

6)  H made most of the Thanksgiving dinner.  She roasted a turkey, made mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes (which we forgot to eat.  We were warming them in the oven and forgot to get them out).  R made a rotisserie turkey on the grill outside.  Unfortunately, the dog had gotten into his wood chips that smoke the turkey meat so well.  I had swept them out and thrown them out and never thought to replace them.  On Wed. I dashed out trying to see if any stores carried wood chips but alas, I could find none.  The turkey was still quite good but not the amazingness it is when smoked.  We'll remember for next year! 

7)  I made gluten free rolls using the Pamela's flour.  They were delicious.  I also made cow dairy free mashed potatoes which were scrumptious.  I put in ghee and garlic goat cheese and mashed them up well.  Came out really good!  I also made a big cheese and veggie platter for everyone but especially for Will since he is a vegetarian and doesn't eat turkey.  The veggies were:  bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas and cucumbers  I bought 3 different types of cheese to go with it, including some goat brie cheese, which is really good and tastes a lot more like regular cheese than those logs of goat cheese which taste like goat cheese! 

8)  Today I am going to do a big project of cleaning out our front hall closet.  I also will try to get the others to offer at least one garment for the clothing drive. 

9)  I am excited that Organic Edible Gardens is finally going to get started on Monday here.  I can't believe they say it's ok to plant at the end of November, especially since we are having a below freezing cold snap.  Actually some planting will have to wait until spring.  I just want as many fruit bearing things that can be planted now to be planted.  And I really want my raised vegetable beds to be built so I can load them up with good soil.  I've been doing research on how to protect gardens from pets.  Apparently I just need some wire fencing to place over the top.  I am most worried the new plantings won't survive Skipper.  So I am inordinately focused on how to protect them. 

That's it for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment