Monday, November 26, 2018

Classics Club Spin

I want to join in on the Classics Club Spin challenge, however, I've already started a reading challenge with my husband to reread all the Jane Austen novels.  He's ahead of me.  He's finished Sense and Sensibility and is now on to Northanger Abbey.  I'm just halfway through S&S.  I'm also reading The Light of Christ by Thomas White O.P. which is a wonderfully written but slow going basic course in theology.  And I'm listening on CD to The Small House at Allington.

Here are my 20 classics that I will draw the spin read from.  I am pulling from my 50 Classics list, but I'm also letting myself add in other books that I've wanted to read too.

History
1)  The History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer
2)  Anabasis by Xenophon
3)  The History of the Peloponnesian Wars by Thucydides
4)  History of Philosophy, Volume 1 by Copleston
5)  The Story of Art by E. H. Gombrich

Religion
6)  The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius
7)  Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila
8)  The Intellectual Life by A. G. Sertillanges
9)  The Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen
10)  Life of Moses by St. Gregory of Nyssa

Fiction
11)  The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
12)  The Betrothed by Manzoni
13)  Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
14)  Silence by Endo
15)  Wise Blood by Flannery O'Conner
16)  The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
17)  Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen
18)  Helena by Evelyn Waugh
19)  Monseigneur Quixote by Graham Greene
20)  A Canticle for Leibowtiz by Walter Miller

UPDATE!  I got my entry in just under the wire.  The deadline was 11:59 p.m. last night.  They did the spin and the lucky number that came up was #1!  So I have to read Susan Wise Bauer's, The History of the Ancient World by January 31st, 2019.  The truth is I've read parts of it when we were studying Ancient History in our high school courses, but I shall return to it and read it with vigor from cover to cover by 1/31/19!

No comments:

Post a Comment