Sunday, November 18, 2018

A Damsel in Distress - Book 43



A Damsel in Distress by P. G. Wodehouse was published in 1919 (The year my dad was born.  That year always jumps out at me!).  I got it for 0 cents on my Kindle.  I had had the most miserable day, being struck down by a painful stomach ailment that had me bedridden most of the day.  Occasionally I would stagger down to the kitchen for some hot water with lemon or chicken broth.  I slept on and off in between writhing and wincing with pain.  I felt like I was in labor.  I started to think that I was having appendicitis or something that required urgent care, but then during the evening it got much better.  Still, I didn't have any appetite, so by the time 9:30 p.m. or so rolled around I started to get a headache.  I took some Tylenol and hoped it would help but it got worse and worse. Around 11 p.m. I realized that I hadn't really had any caffeine all day.  In addition to that, the day had started out with a pretty snowfall but it had turned into a steady, heavy, wet, dismal rain.  I think both things were triggering a migraine.  So at 11:00 at night I had a cup of coffee.  Within a half hour my head was better.  But, I thought, oh dear, I am going to be up all night.  I decided I needed to find a book on the Kindle to read, something light and amusing.  However, I am punishing myself right now by not letting myself purchase books on the Kindle because I impulse buy too much and wind up not finishing them.  But then I remembered you can get some books for free!   I searched through a long list of classics which I've already read or have no intention of ever reading until I stumbled on a Wodehouse I hadn't read before.

It was delightful.  I only read for a couple of hours before I fell into a wonderful, pain-free slumber that lasted unbroken until the morning light!  It was quite refreshing.

But the next day, I decided I was going to take it really easy since I am tired of being sick for so long and feel very worn down.  I still have my stupid hacking cough. So I spent most of the day reading and finished the book by the evening.  It was a really fun read and the perfect book to read while convalescing.  What a gift Wodehouse was!  There's a lot going on in the madcap plot.  It has many laugh out loud moments. The main lady interest is named Maud and Wodehouse makes many references to Tennyson's poem throughout.  Note to self:  read the poem Maud.  

An illustration of Tennyson's poem Maud.  It looks pretty sinister to me!

I also discovered that they made a 1937 musical comedy starring Fred Astaire, very, very loosely based on the plot.  It was the last musical George Gershwin worked on.  He died during the filming.  So my little midnight find turned out to be quite a gem!

Two big thumbs up!  For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment