Sunday, September 30, 2018

Zak George's Dog Training Revolution - Book 34



Since I've got a high energy, rascally puppy, I've become very interested in dog training.  I stumbled on this guy's youtube channel.  I like him a lot.  He is like the attachment-parenting-but-in-the-dog-world guru. I decided to get his book on Kindle to help me get things right with Skipper.

Basically, in order to train your dog you must have the patience of a saint!  LOL.

While I like much of what George says and the book is very detailed and clear about how to handle many different situations, I find I simply can't have bowls of boiled chicken and turkey cut up into tiny bit size portions and strategically positioned around the house so I can reward my dog when I catch him doing something good.  I find that unrealistic.  He's a guy with no kids and his life is completely devoted to dogs, so I think he is just living in a different reality than I am!  However a lot of what he says is practical.  For instance, he really like crate training, as long as you don't imprison your dog for long stretches.  He likes using gates or 'puppy playpens' or keep the dog in a laundry room or bathroom when they are very young, so as to limit their ability to make mistakes in the first place.  I also like that he emphasized bonding with the dog through play.  He bases lots of what he says on the latest in animal behavior and in the fact that dogs have been bred to take instruction and bond with humans.  He's the opposite of Cesar Millan, aka the Dog Whisperer, who operated on the dogs-are-still-wolves premise, and you have to show the dog you are the alpha.  George admits they are related to wolves of course but he thinks that breeding for thousands of years to work with humans has been under-emphasized. 

I like people who focus on the positives.  When I found myself losing patience with the new puppy, I would take up George's book and it would really give me a better, more patient perspective.  My dog responds well to treats, but he also loves to play and he loves attention and affection.  I find myself using all this as well as correcting him when he's doing something bad (like counter surfing.  I am not very effective here though.  I just shout no!  And then clap my hands and try to distract him.  So far, he has only perfected his counter surfing skills.) 

So an encouraging, clear, instruction manual for how to train your dog via bonding and positive reinforcement.  Two thumbs up.

For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment