Sunday, September 30, 2018

The Two Mrs. Abbotts - Book 33



I am still on a D. E. Stevenson kick.  She is just the type of novelist I need right now when I feel so despairing over both church and state.  She is pleasant and light, but not unintelligent at all.  In fact, I keep learning new words as I read her, which is fun.   Of course right now I can't think of any, but as I read in my kindle, I can press on an unfamiliar word and get the definition. And sometimes wikipedia can't supply a definition which makes me wonder even more.  There are some French words sprinkled in and some idiomatic English from the countryside in the 1940s. 

The Miss Buncle series is a little uneven though.  The author tends to meander from character to character almost like the book was really a compilation of short character sketches that she wove together after the fact.  Characters change a bit to suit the plot, characters disappear and new ones appear in not quite a smooth fashion.  But in spite of this, I am really enjoying the stories. 

The Two Mrs. Abbotts are Jerry Abbott and Mrs. Barbara Buncle Abbott.  Jerry is married to Sam Abbott, Barbara's nephew by marriage.  They live in the village of Wandlebury.  Or rather Barbara does and Jerry lives out in the country in an old Elizabethan lodge.  Her brother Archie is the squire of the Elizabethan manor.  We learn about how things are going on the homefront during World War II.  Sam Abbott has gone to Egypt to fight.  The lodge has been turned into a camp for soldiers.  Markie, Jerry's old governess, turned cook and housekeeper, figures heavily in this book.  As does Archie and several new characters who've come to stay in the cottage near Jerry's lodge.  (I am typing this while watching my puppy so I don't have time to look up the names of places which currently escape me!).  It's a light, charming tale full of ordinary people.

All in all, two thumbs up.

For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment