Tuesday, September 4, 2018
Anna and her Daughters - Book 29
I've just discovered D. E. Stevenson (a relative of Robert Louis Stevenson). She writes cozy, intelligent novels. I read Amberwell, supposedly the first of the Ayrton Family trilogy, but I can't seem to find the follow up novels, at least not on Kindle. So I decided to try this novel, Anna and Her Daughters. It was a very satisfying read. If you are in the market for a light, but never silly or crass sort of British novel (seemingly set in time from the 1930s or so to the 1950s), here's your author!
I enjoyed seeing the world through Jane Harcourt's eyes as her family copes with her father's death and the changing circumstances of their lives. They must move from London to a small village in Scotland. The novel's plot is the unfolding of how the mother and each of the three daughters cope with this change. All sorts of things happen, but in a quietly told, understated way.
I need a light diversion these days. So glad I've encountered D. E. Stevenson!
For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment