Saturday, August 18, 2018
Black Coffee - Book 25
Black Coffee by Agatha Christie was the next in my list of Hercule Poirot mysteries. This one was a little strange though. It was originally a play, apparently Christie's first, which was posthumously turned into a novel. It read very much like a play and I think it would have been a better read if it was published as such. The parts of it they (whoever they* was?) wrote out to turn it into a novel form didn't add much and it still felt very much like a play. Most of the action takes place in one room with people coming in and out of it on cue.
However, what kept me going and made this an ultimately enjoyable read was the mystery aspect. Although at the end I realized that we actually knew who the killer was all along and the real mystery was how Poirot was going to figure it out.
I think I'm feeling a little overexposed to Poirot right now, as endearing a character as he is, so I think I'll take a break from him for a bit.
*Turns out 'they' is a guy named Charles Osborne!
For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment