The USCCB opened up their conference, which they just happened to be having, by denouncing Sessions' move as immoral. Amen.
We don't know what is going to happen but it will probably take some months before anything does happen. I had visions of ICE breaking down the door or something, but V is perfectly legal right now. Her case is pending and her hearing date hadn't even been set, so we've got time. It's just that when her hearing does happen, if the judge follows Sessions' announcement, her claim would be denied. She'd then have the right to appeal and according to Sessions, that appeal would then also be denied. But she still must move through the process. All this will probably take a while. However, it is under Sessions' power to order that all these asylum cases be moved ahead scheduling-wise. Even under that scenario, it will take some months.
People are scrambling to address the issue. I am so lucky to be married to such a wonderful man. He is pulling out all the stops that he can. He's got such a sharp legal mind and he's methodically going through and finding all of Sessions' legal errors and weak legal reasoning. He's been consulting with lots of experts and immigration lawyers. It's wonderful to see him go! I'm in love with him all over again.
I miscalculated and today is actually V's birthday. B made her cupcakes last night. We are going to be as celebratory as we can muster today. We've got time and we've got a lot of good people on our side. We won't panic but we will trust and do all we can.
I'm so glad that you are in a position to fight this for V. She is very fortunate to have you and R.
ReplyDeleteGo Rick! I figured he knew how to help. She's in the best possible situation/hands. Happy birthday to V.
ReplyDelete