Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Better Angels

I just joined this organization.  I wonder what it will come to?  But maybe it is a case of God shutting a door and opening a window for me.  I'm gone from the American Solidarity Party.  They just had their election of national committee officers.  The pro-life Democrat leaning side lost to the Monarchist-Chestertonian side.  I tended to side with the Pro-life Dems just on their more practical approach.  I think the monarchists* are absolutely absurd and honestly, I didn't want to be in such a small party that has such a big group of this type of people.  I can't even begin to tell you how absurd I find people wanting to identify as monarchists in a U.S. political party.  That tells me these people are living in a fantasy land that has little connection with reality.  First of all our country broke away from monarchy and deliberately created a different form of government.  So I find the idea of being a monarchist rather treasonous.  But on top of that, just how would we select a monarch if we decided that a constitutional monarchy was somehow a more superior form of government than a republic?  It's ludicrous.  And these people are really deluded by Chesterton's vague and general ideas of distributism.  I love Chesterton, and while I think some of the things he said about distributism are spot on, it is the not a realistic and complete view of how to humanize economics.  And to operate as if it were, is again to be disconnected from reality. 

I do really like the woman they elected to the national committee.  Maybe she can work a miracle.  She is practical, well-spoken and determined.  And unlike the pro-life Democratic-ish wing, she has much better people skills. They simply were too angry and insulting to others to build a consensus.  Not that I actually believe there was a possibility of consensus lurking somewhere.

So instead of going via third party, I think I'd rather work on promoting civil discourse.  We'll see!


Also, I kind of believe 'scratch a monarchist, find an anti-Semite. ' At least, when I did a little bit of research into monarchist groups, that's what I noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment