Sunday, June 17, 2018

How Can We Foster Inspirations?

I'm reading the most wonderful book for my morning meditation.  It's called In the School of the Holy Spirit by Jacques Philippe.  I had never heard of this author.  But a couple weeks ago I asked Father Paul (sob:  he's moving in a few days to be pastor at another parish - we will miss him!) what book they were reading in his spiritual classics book club.  I joined that book club when it first started but then got too busy to stay in it.  Anyway, he said this book by Philippe.  Now that I've heard his name, I'm noticing people mentioning him all over the place!  It's like when you hear a new word and suddenly notice it everywhere. 

Anyway, this is such a lovely book.  It is written very simply and with wonderful depth.  I'm only in the second chapter but I am seeing connections to all sorts of things as I read.  I've been especially struck by his list of ways that we foster promptings of the Holy Spirit.  I just feel like listing them all out.

1. Practice praise and thanksgiving - a grateful heart opens you up to hear God's voice.
2.  Desire and ask for them -pray all the time to hear and do God's will.
3.  Resolve to refuse God nothing - God is love - we should be obedient to love.
4.  Practice filial and trusting obedience - if we are faithful in responding to God's call, he will send more.  Ask and you shall receive.
5.  Practice abandonment - even when bad things happen, we can discern God's voice in how to respond to them.
6.  Practice detachment - we can't receive motions of the Holy Spirit if we are rigidly attached to our possession, ideas and points of view.
7.  Practice silence and peace - maintain a peaceful heart as much as possible.
8.  Persevere faithfully in prayer - these attitudes that help us listen to God can only be acquired little by little - patience is key!
9.  Examine the movements of our hearts - learn to discern what is from God and what is from your own imagination.
10.  Open our hearts to a spiritual director

The little explanations that Father Philippe gives for each point are so rich and wise.  #3 made me think not only of my own attitude towards obedience to the Holy Spirit but a parent's relationship to a child and how to cultivate the desire for obedience in a child.  It tied right into the group read of Hold On To Your Kids - a purely secular book! 

And it also made me think of Catholics who have replaced the authority of Pope Francis and the USCCB, because they are too 'liberal,' with Trump as their moral compass, even to the point that they think his approach to dealing with immigrants and refugees is more sound morally than the hierarchy of their own Church!!!  Which is exactly, of course, the kind of disobedience that pro-choice people who claim to be Catholic do!!!!  There is a closed mindedness that champions obedience to their own point of view over obedience to the Holy Spirit. 

Anyway, this book is beautiful.  I am so glad the Holy Spirit prompted me to ask Father Paul about the book club!  It is just what I need at this point in my life.  Thank you, beloved Holy Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment