Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Tuesday Topics - 5/23/17- In Which I Get Angry

I don't have very long to write anything today, but someone posted an article about women on facebook and it made me mad.  It didn't make me mad about how women are treated, it made me mad because I am tired of made up slights that women whine about in the name of feminism.  Just shut up!

I think I am a feminist in that I believe all people are equal in human dignity.  I think women are just as smart and capable as men, except for physical things which often don't quite overlap well.  We simply don't have the muscle mass that men do and we also have babies so our physiology is different.  Viva la difference!  So not everything is interchangeable, but I don't see why everything has to be interchangeable frankly.  I think that causes its own problems because it denies reality. Equality addresses the issue of dignity and not sameness.

Anyway, here is the article.  By the time they got to 'mental load' I had lost my patience.  I hated the example.  I sometimes volunteer with women and children who are homeless.  They have been abandoned by their men/husband/father and are so poor they are desperately trying to provide for their offspring.

So my response to this tragic issue of clutter on the coffee table is this:

If you have a coffee table, I'm willing to bet that means you have a roof over your head.  Count your blessings!

If you have clutter on your coffee table, I'm willing to bet you have some disposable income.  Count your blessings!

If you have a man who clutters up the table who you can talk to about his bad habit:  Count your blessings!

There are women out there who have no coffee table, no clutter, no man.  Just shut up!  They do not know how they are going to feed their children today.  They slept in a car last night because that husband of theirs left them or drank away the rent money or got injured on the job and can no longer work.  I bet they wish the crux of their life problem was a messy guy.  They'd rejoice in it!

Women!  You do not have a right to a perfect partner.  No one is perfect.  You are not perfect and you probably get on HIS last nerve too.  And while I am sure there are some women who have no interest in homemaking at all, most women I know are more interested in it than most men I know.  Women think about it more.  And because of this they channel more energy and invest more emotions into how their home runs.  Men often just don't think in detail about it.  It's as simple as that.  They just don't see a lot of stuff that women see because of this.  It's not a fault or flaw.  It is simply a different way of approaching things.

Mental load is good for you, ladies!  I see a lot of prejudice against the domestic realm in modern feminism.  If this was an office situation, I think we'd be talking about how great women are at multitasking instead of whining about mental load.  Stop being martyrs!  It is a disservice to other women who truly are in trying circumstances because they are women.

Here's the real cure for 'mental load.' Go volunteer with people who are less fortunate than you are.  Get out of your freaking stainless steel bubble and live in the real world.  And then count your blessings and realize that cluttered coffee tables are a blessing not a mental load.  Have some humility, patience and generosity.  Think about things other than stupid stuff that mildly annoys you, provokes your own self-pity, causing you to blow them way out of proportion with your sophistic, overeducated analysis!

Feminism is not about kvetching over how men can be irritating.  Women are irritating too.   Humans who are roommates are irritating.  It's a fact.   Feminism is about righting injustice for abandoned women, beaten women, terrified women, women treated like chattel, women who have FGM forced upon them on as young girls, women who are pushed or abducted into sex slavery, women who are exploited by porn, women who feel pressured to 'choose' abortion because there is no support for them to carry the baby to term.

Just shut up!

No comments:

Post a Comment