Monday, May 22, 2017

Monday Meals - 5/22/17

This past Saturday I made homemade granola, peanut butter cookies and black beans in the instant pot.

The granola is for breakfast this morning.

The cookies are already eaten all up.

The black beans are for the chili tonight.

I am trying to do both meatless Monday and do the Catholic fast from meat on Fridays.

It used to be that I had to cook for both meat eaters and vegetarians, but now Sean has gone back to eating meat after his year long experiment.  But now we are low sodium due to Rick's health, so that cuts out a lot of stuff that he relied on like pizza and cheese and restaurant/fast foods.  I am now packing him his lunch most days. This has changed his habits.  He used to not eat until late afternoon and then get a big lunch out and wouldn't be hungry for dinner most days.  Since he gets home from work late usually, after we've all eaten dinner he may or may not eat dinner or have some kind of snack/supper.  But now that I am packing his lunch he comes home hungrier and wants dinner.  But he's picky.  So chili which everyone else in the house loves, he doesn't.  He just doesn't like the spices/flavoring of Mexican style food.  He never has.  So I am thinking for him, since the rest of his meals will be so sodium restricted (granola and milk for breakfast - milk has some sodium), egg salad, apple and unsalted cashews for lunch (the egg salad does have a little mayo in it) tonight he can have a big baked potato with unsalted butter and some cheddar cheese, a big green tossed salad

1 cup whole milk - 107 mg
granola - homemade, I did add a tiny bit of salt, but I'm thinking in each portion the amount will be negligible.

egg salad - 2 tbsp of mayo at 95mg each = 190
apple - 2 mg, in other words, negligible
unsalted raw cashews - negligible

1 large baking potato - 38 mg, something like that
1 slice cheddar cheese - 174 mg; he'll probably have at least two slices - 348
1 serving of tossed green salad - with oil and vinegar
1 corn muffin - 340 mg

That totals up to 1, 023, excluding the little bits of sodium in the apple, granola and cashews.  Typically he's not supposed to get more than 1,500.  I know on Sunday he exceeded his sodium intake by a lot.  So it is good that he will come in under the sodium limit today.

We had a roast chicken on Saturday.  I think I'll make chicken broth with it tomorrow.
Tonight's dinner will be black bean chili with lots of veggies, salad and corn muffins.
On Friday I plan to make black bean soup for those who eat that and then something else for Rick to supplement.  Maybe some broiled fish.

Tuesday - cooking something that uses chicken broth.  That's all I have planned right now. I'll go shopping on Tuesday morning.

Wednesday - something with ground beef.

Thursday - Some kind of pasta dish.

I guess I have a lot of planning still to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment