Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Tuesday Topic - The Best Way to Get Out of Poverty

I grew up in a labor Democratic family, proud of our union roots.  So it still sticks in my throat when I agree with conservatives.  But honestly, looking at history and the world around us, I think Arthur Brooks is on to something!  My tension remains though, that free trade/capitalism, while being the most efficient at bringing the most people out of poverty and allowing for the most freedom, still encourages a very consumeristic and wasteful culture.  And we must be watchful and wary because it does have a history of slipping into exploitation!  Those are things we need to figure out how to counteract.  Anyway, here is Brooks.  What he says makes sense to me.  And by the way when I began to befriend conservatives, I found that they were not people who hate the poor at all.  They are very compassionate to the poor on a personal level.   So I really appreciate that Brooks clears up that misconception is constantly being lobbed at conservatives (and there are bozo conservatives who feed off that for sure).



No comments:

Post a Comment