Sunday, May 1, 2016
Books Read in April (#11, 12, 13, 14)
#11 Mother Angelica - Actually, I think it was still March when I finished this! Mother died on Easter Sunday. I got it on my kindle the next day and I think it only took a couple of days to read. But anyway, it is a well-written, absorbing story of her life. I don't think I appreciated her enough. Rest in peace, Mother!
#12 Death Comes for the Archbishop by Cather - My AtoZ challenge reminded me that I wanted to reread this. Lyrical, lovely book. Cather was an artist.
#13 Consoling the Heart of Jesus - I read this for a weekly retreat at my parish. We've been meeting almost every Sunday evening for weeks now. Our last meeting is tonight. Father Michael Gaitley knocks it out of the ballpark again with deceptively simple and amazingly deep spiritual instruction. Wow!
#14 Hangman's Holiday - I just finished this collection of short stories by Dorothy Sayers. The first two are about our friend Lord Peter Wimsey but many of the rest have a new hero that I'd never encountered before and find just delightful,. Mr. Montague Egg is a salesman for Plummet and Rose distributors of fine wines and spirits. His bible is the Salesman's Handbook. The fact that he is a dedicated salesman, who can read people well and is clever, helps him solve mysteries that always seems to be cropping up in his life.
For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment