Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Journaling the Day - 5/30

Today is Memorial Day.  Alas, I don't think we'll be doing much commemorating.   Rick has to go into work.

Woke up way too early around 4.  Stayed in bed until 5.  Heard cats fighting so got up.  Someone had closed the door into the mudroom where the kitty litter is but kept the door open to the study (supposed to be kept shut because the cats get in there).  So first thing I did was clean up not one, not two, but three messes in the study.  Not a good way to start the day!  The teens stay up later than I do and they are supposed to make sure things are good for the night before they go to bed.  Some nights they are more responsible than others.  Two cats are supposed to be outside at night but somehow all three were inside.

Fed pets
Made coffee
Made a list of everything I need to do this summer and then just this week.

Read from Deuteronomy and from book on mediations based on the writings of the Church Fathers.  Lately the passages have all been about the sin of gossip, how wrong mocking and insulting others is and the evil of blasphemy.  And isn't all that 90% of social media?

Read from Lumen Fedei - assigned reading for Theo class.

Worked on Latin syllabus for Aquinas. Probably for more than an hour.

Went to Mass for Memorial day at 10 a.m. with Vivianne and little Dylan.  Woke up teens before I left and told them to get up and start studying for their history test.

Came home, ate leftover Chinese food, chatted with Vivianne, took a shower.

Figured out I did not have to drive out to Round Hill to get religious awards today.

S was really bummed because he just bought a really expensive harmonica and was teaching himself to play.  There was an annoying buzzing in the lower notes so he opened it up to try to fix it and somehow damaged it.  I comforted  him with the idea that there probably is a harmonica repair person out there somewhere.  I tried calling local music store but it was closed due to the holiday.

So then I offered to help him study for his history final exam.  This was actually very pleasant.  Sat out on the screen porch with iced tea and talked American history until we were tired.

B insisted on studying on her own.

Read some of my book for new book club and then napped a while.

Got up, chopped up and roasted some vegetables for dinner.

S and I studied some more - again pleasantly sitting out on the screen porch talking history.

Made toasted cheese subs on those yummy pretzel sandwich rolls they have at TJ's with a side of roasted veggies for dinner.  B assembled all the sandwich makings, buffet style.  It's just a come and get it kind of dinner.

Took Dylan on a walk.  I forgot how nice it is to take a baby on a walk.  I used to walk for miles when I just had Hannah as a baby.  The more babies you have though the more of a project this becomes!  But just one baby is quite peaceful! The evening, though a bit warm and sticky, had a lovely breeze.

Worked more on Latin syllabus, still hanging out on the screen porch. S was busy showering.

Studied more with S, lots of great talks on the impact WWII had on our country, the Cold War, etc.

Rick came home about 9 p.m.  Made him a sandwich.  hung out with him, watched the end of the Nats game (they won!).  Said night prayers.   Went to bed with dire warnings about cats to everybody.  B was still studying.  S was hanging out with Rick, J also made an appearance.

In bed about 10:30, read more from Song of Bernadette til I fell asleep.












2 comments:

  1. My neighbor plays harmonica (has a whole suitcase full of them - apparently they come in different keys?). He might be able to help.

    ReplyDelete