Friday, January 1, 2016

Plans for Spring Semester 2016

This coming semester is going to be a bear!  Sean is going to be taking Music Theory 1 at the community college.  These means I have to drive him every Monday and Thursday a.m. plus he has to go in for lab time at some other point in the week.  The campus is only about 15 or 20 minutes away when there is no traffic.  However, when there is traffic it is a good 30+.  And they've been doing construction on the road for months now so the traffic has been terrible.  Also, once I drop him off, I have to fight rush hour traffic going in the same direction (I am going against it when I take him).  So boo hiss!  Friday mornings I already face this to take him to his math tutor.  Not looking forward to this!

But to make it hopefully not dead time in the car, I want to try to listen to some classic on cd going to and from.  So I am looking into that.  I want to come up with a selection and then let Sean choose.

This also means that our 'breakfast school' which consists of Scripture reading, saint of the day, some other educational short video (this year Elements and MusicTheory.net) and copy work is going to have to move around a lot.  So it looks like it will go:

Monday - breakfast school at lunch!
Tuesday - breakfast school
Wednesday - breakfast school
Thursday - breakfast school at dinner (and maybe I should make that dinner menu breakfast for dinner!  The kids always like it when we do that.)
Friday - we have a different schedule - so we don't do it on this day anyway.

In addition to our regular breakfast school, I have been inspired to study Plutarch's Lives.  I've been wanting to do this for a while, and now realize that with Sean it is probably now or never!  So we will add on to our breakfast school this and then this.  This is kind of a continuation of the Speech and Communications on line class the kids took with Homeschool Connections which they really enjoyed and I think, learned quite a bit.

Because I just read Minds More Awake and because I just saw this lovely curriculum in the making, I got inspired to try to be more formally CM than we have been.  So I polled B about the following:

What composer would you like to study this semester?  She said Pachelbel and Baroque music in general.

What artist would you like to study?  Vincent van Gogh - so a trip to the art gallery is in store sometime this semester, as well as books out from the library and we hope to read his letters to his brother Theo as well.

What classic book do you want to read this semester (other than the teen book club)? Pride and Prejudice. (A girl after my own heart!)

Which Shakespeare play would you like to study?  She thought about it and then said, what is Othello about?  Turns out Othello is playing at a theater near us in March. So Othello it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment