Merry Christmas!
(updated 12/28/15 - updates stolen from the Pemberley board!)
I'm working on the King William's College Quiz
Wanna join in?
Here's the link. It is very, very intimidating and I have never come close to completing it but it is a fun distraction.
*I am getting help from the good people at the Well Trained Mind board.
Here's what I have so far:
Section 1 During 1915
#2 Frank Sinatra
#4 Janssen and Roos
#5 Edith Cavill
#6 The Lusitania (I think)
#7 The Battle of Loos
#8 The Thirty-nine Steps by John Buchan
#10 The Lusitania - hmm. Maybe that isn't the answer for #6?
Section 2 - Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries.
*The following is from Alice of the Well Trained Mind board with some conflicting answers from Pemberley. Alice sounds like she knows of what she speaks! But I thought the ladies at Pemberley were infallible. LOL. Anyway, since I can't remember these books except for #9, I will keep both answers up until we get the final exam answers whenever they come out.
#1 Sir Impey Biggs (Strong Poison)
#2 Noakes (Busman's Honeymoon)
#3 Dr. Penberthy (Unpleasantness of the Bellona Club)
#4 Mary Whittaker (Unnatural Death)
#5 Crimplesham (Alice) Freke (Pemberley) (Whose Body)
#6
#7
#8General Fentiman (The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club)
#9 Yeah! This one I really got! In Dorothy Sayers' The Nine Tailors, Deacon, the suspect is killed by being tied up in the bell tower while they ring them all night long for New Years.
#10
(Sorry my cross out thingy isn't working correctly. Harriet will not be uncrossed!)
Section 3 - Themes is elections (Thanks Kathryn!)
#7 John Wilkes
Section 4 - County of Kent
#4 Margate
#3 White cliffs of Dover (King Lear)* from Laura Corin at WTM
#5 William Harvey hospital in Kent *
#6 From Room with a View - Tunbridge Wells*
#7 Hadlow Tower?
#10 Bishop's Finger beer made in Faversham (or could be pub of same name in London* (Laura Corin)
Section 5 - seems to be about British architecture built in the round
#1 Church of the Holy Sepluchre, Cambridge (The Round Church)
#2 Church of the Holy Sepluchre, Northhampton (also built in the round)
#3 The Roundhouse in North London* ( Laura Corin)
#5 Ickworth House, Suffolk
#6 Could this be Bodleian Library at Oxford?
#9 Mereworth Castle in Kent
#10 Royal Albert Hall (Pemberley)
Section 6 - Trains in Art, Music, Literature (thanks Kathryn!)
#1 Spanish-Brötli-Bahn - a kind of bun named after the station? (Pemberley)
#2 Adlestrop* (Laura Corin)
#4 Funiculi, Funicula
#5 The Railway Station, from Upways - poem by Thomas Hardy (Pemberley)
#7 La Gare Perpignan - station named by Salvidor Dali (I thought he might be the surrealist they were going for!) (Pemberley)
#8 The film Brief Encounter -station is Camforth* (Laura Corin)
#9 Gare St. Lazare by Monet (Kathryn)
#10 Copenhagen (Pemberley)
Section 7 - The theme is wolves!
#3 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
#6
Section 8 -
#1 David Copperfield (Laura Corin also thinks this is right!)
#3 Camp David* (Laura Corin)
#4 Davy Crockett (though this doesn't seem to go with the novel theme)
#5 David Livingstone
#6 David Hackston - murder of Church of Scotland bishop James Sharp* (Laura Corin)
#7 David Crawfurd from John Buchan's book Prester John
#8
#10 Dracula?
Section 9 - Theme is beverages
#1Black coffee
#2 Gunpowder tea (Kathryn) or Civit Coffee (Pemberley)
#3 red wine (me) or red raspberry tea (Pemberley)
#6 tea and toast (Wind in the Willows)* (Laura Corin)
#7 Camomile tea
#8 Rooibus tea*
#9 Orange Julius (me) or Earl Grey (Pemberley)
#10 Cafe au lait*
Section 10 - Theme may be reptiles?
#3 alligator - from the play The Rivals by Sheridan
#4 Tick tock crocodile
#6 Rene LaCoste
#7 Terry Pratchett's Discworld? (Kathryn)
#8 Amun* (Calvin Corin) or Sobek? (AusMumof3)
#10 Galapogos? (means tortoise in Spanish) or Cayman Islands (Pemberley)
Section 11 - Feathers (Kathryn)
#4 Ostrich feathers
#5 Featherbed frame for motorcycles
#7 Pigeon Feathers by John Updike
#8 The Four Feathers by A.E.W. Mason
Section 12 - Code Names Given to Agents
Section 13 -
#5 Suez, Around the World in 80 Days
#6 The Rosetta Stone
#9 The Battle of El Alamein
Section 14 - Etymology of Country's names
#2 Costa Rica
#3 Holy See (or maybe Christmas Island - Kathryn)
#4 Russia
#5 Spain
#7 Cote d'Ivoire*
#9 Bahamas*
Section 15 - Theme looks to be dances
#2 Supervisor Dance (from Treasure Island)
#3 Cachucha from Gilbert and Sullivan (Pemberley)
#4 Lobster quadrille
#5 Danse Macabre (Calvin Corin agrees!)
#6 Dance of the Hours from La Gioconda
#7 Willoughby?
#8 Last Tango in Halifax*
#9 Swan Lake - Whooper Swans* (Laura Corin) or Whooping Crane (Pemberley)
#10 Waltzing Matilda*
Section 16 - Desserts
#1 Barm brack - traditional fruit cake served on St. Brigit's Day in Ireland
#2 Tiramisu from book Turtle Soup and Tiramisu by A. E. Ramsay
#5 to be rolled up in dough and eaten by rats (Tom Kitten) *(Laura Corin and Pemberley)
#6A raised pie - from Captain Aubrey (JFSinIL) or treacle pudding (Pemberley)
#7 Zabaglione
#10 Pumpkin pie from poem "Pumpkin" by John Greenleaf Whittier (Pemberley)
Section 17 - no clue
#6 Sandgate in The Keel Row (Pemberley)
#9 a peerage* (Laura Corin)
Section 18 During 2015
#1 Cecil the lion
#2 Richard III
#3 Liverpool - launch of ferry named Snowdrop painted in many colors. (Pemberley)
#5 Inspector Wexforth (Pemberley)
#6 Anthem from Borat (Pemberley)
#8 Women bishops (Kathryn)
If anybody out there in internet land wants to join in, please comment! As I answer more of the questions, I will update. I don't think I'll ever get all the questions. For one thing there are too obscurely British, but it is really fun to try.
ReplyDeleteThat certainly is tough! Here are a few more answers (some pretty tentative)...
Section 3 - theme is elections
7. John Wilkes
Section 4 - theme is the county of Kent (Dover, Tubridge Wells and Faversham are all in Kent)
Section 6 - I think the theme may be railways with connections to art / film / literature
9. Gare St Lazare, Paris (Monet)
Section 9
2. Gunpowder tea?
Section 10 - theme may be reptiles?
4. Tick-Tock the crocodile in Peter Pan
7. Could be the turtle in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels - the Discworld is carried on the backs of 4 elephants standing on a giant turtle
Section 11 - feathers? Birds?
4. Ostrich feathers - crest of King John of Bohemia adopted by the Black Prince after the Battle of Crecy
Section 14
3. Could be Christmas Island rather than the Holy See?
Section 15
4. Quadrille (Alice in Wonderland)
Section 18
8. First women bishops appointed by Church of England
Oh Kathryn! Thank you! I'll add your answers. I love hearing from actual English people!
ReplyDeleteHey, Faith. This is Alice from WTM. This is fun, I'd never heard of it.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure I'm right about my answers to Section 2 except for #3. But I think that my original answers are right to #5, 6, 7 and 10. I knew the references from the books and then I looked up the answers in the texts online.
#5- Julian Freke doesn't lose his glasses. He is the murderer and the stranger whose collar the glasses get caught in. The guy who loses his pince-nez is Crimplesham, a very minor character. The glasses are a crucial clue though.
#6- Weldon is not the hairdresser. He is the murderer. He uses the razor for the murder. Endicott, he exclusive hairdresser is not important in himself except that the razor is again a really important clue and they are only able to track it down because of the uniqueness of the razors.
#7- Peter Wimsey is the person in the plain and is the important character but he is not the pilot. Grant is the pilot who is a very minor character.
#10 Harriet Vane is saved by a dog collar in Gaudy Night. It's a really important scene in the books because Peter Wimsey gives it to her and it saves her life but the symbolism of a dog collar is important because she is struggling with whether or not she wants to marry him and give up what she sees as her independence.
A Google search for dog collar and Hallelujah Dawson gives a hit that is an obscure reference in the text but I don't think he was saved by one.
Ok...and now that I sound like a complete Dorothy Sayers obsessive, I'll go and get some actual work done. :)