Saturday, April 12, 2014

Agnes Grey - Book 18

This is the first book I've read by the third Bronte sister.  I've read Wuthering Heights by Emily and Jane Eyre (several times) and Villette by Charlotte Bronte.  I was always a little trepidacious about reading more Bronte.  While I do think they are all wonderful writers, I find I can only take so much drama on the moors before I find it a little too overwrought for my tastes.

Agnes Grey was a surprisingly quick read for me.  It is told in the first person.  Agnes comes from a genteel and poor clergyman's family.  Her mother gave up a rich inheritance to marry Agnes' father.  They are a happily married couple with two daughters, Mary and Agnes.  Agnes is the baby of the family and she pines to go out into the world and be independent.  The family has suffered a financial setback and Agnes's father health has been affected.  So Agnes talks her parents into letting her work as a governess.  Agnes is looking forward to working and has ambitions to be an excellent governess.  Alas, she finds that governesses are just one step above servant.  Her employers look down on her. They have abandoned the responsibility of raising their own children properly.  They expect Agnes to do it for them, but she has no authority over the children.  She is reprimanded if they behave badly but she can't punish them at all.  it is a miserable existence, caring for bratty, spoiled children and treated like a non-entity, except when she is being scolded.  Finally, her employers terminate her employment.  She's not worked quite a year.

Agnes returns home almost defeated.  But she is an intelligent and determined person.  She reasons that the next family can't be nearly as bad.  She wants to try again, especially because her family really needs the money.  So off she goes again to be a governess for another family.  The situation is different and yet it is the same.  She is still just one step above a servant, gets no respect from anyone, and must suppress all her humiliation and loneliness.   This position is better in that the oldest girl, Rosalie, rather likes Agnes, even though the girl is selfish and manipulative.  And the other thing that makes this position better is Mr. Weston, the curate.  Agnes and Mr. Weston keep bumping into each other in the neighborhood, and each time Agnes likes him more and more.  She is so lonely that the fact there is someone whom she truly connects with and can admire for his good character becomes a powerful force in her interior life.  She loves Mr. Weston but she can never express it and her manners are naturally reserved to begin with.  Then Rosalie, Agnes' oldest charge, decides to flirt with Mr. Weston and deliberately keeps Agnes away from him in a very heartless manner.

I don't want to say anymore to avoid spoiling the story.

As usual with the Brontes the pathos is strong.  We see things through the intelligent and very moral eyes of Agnes.  Her character reminded me a lot of the character in Villette by Charlotte Bronte (except this book isn't nearly as dreary at that one).  Agnes is a very proper and godly young woman, also pretty uptight and humorless too.  But she is strong and she thinks clearly.  The book is so smoothly written that I must say I think it was the easiest Bronte I've read so far.  I still have The Tenant of Wildfell Hall to read, also by Anne Bronte.  Then I'll have read all the Bronte books.

I'm glad I finally read this book.  it was a fine read.  For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment