Friday, April 5, 2013

What's happening - 4/5/13

This week started with a lovely Easter Sunday. We had the requisite egg hunt, albeit at 11:00 a.m. instead of much earlier. That's life with older children! Hannah and her boyfriend Peter made us a wonderful dinner of steak and crab cakes. Peter made the crab cakes and they were delicious! William went back to Boston late Easter evening and. . . forgot his laptop in the security check station at the airport here.

The next day was Easter Monday. Rick left for New Jersey at 5 in the morning. There's a trial going on up there. Hannah and Peter left in the afternoon to fly back to Dallas. I dropped them off at the metro (they were flying out of the OTHER airport nearby, just to make life confusing!) and then drove over to the airport to rescue Will's laptop. I didn't get around to mailing it to him until the next day because I had to take Sean to a physical to get all his papers in order so he can start at his new school. At least we had Easter Monday off from Adler Academy. That starts up again next Monday.

Tuesday morning started off bright and early with a meeting at 8:00 a.m. at Sean's new school. I met all his teachers. They all seemed very nice. Sean has two take home papers he has to fill out for his civics class. I told the English teacher that I was making him read a book so that he couldn't say he'd never finished a book anymore! The book is Water Sky. The teacher (wish I could remember his name!) said that was great because each month the kids pick a book they want to read and then do a 3 to 5 minute presentation on it to the class. So Water Sky is Sean's book for that. Tuesday at 11:15 I went to my first water exercise class. I am the youngest there, though there is another lady who might be just 5 years older than me. The others are into their 70s or 80's even. There is a large contingent of I think Chinese ladies. Apparently the same people attend this class year after year. They were all excited to see a new face! LOL. I do enjoy the exercises a lot.

After the class I noticed this stupid little cyst I've had on my back for forever started to bother me.

Tuesday afternoon I took Becky to her art class and Sean and I did some very needed grocery shopping. Picked Becky up from her friends' house later.

Wednesday - cyst on my back is all swollen and hurting. Math tutor came and gave Sean his last tutoring session from her. Finally mailed Will's laptop to him. Started watching a movie with Becky and Sean called Nanook of the North. It's a 1922 film about an Eskimo hunter and his family. We've only watched about half of it. Hopefully we'll finish it over the weekend. Did a little bit of math with Becky and a little bit of her Aquinas Learning activity sheets. Also focused on trying to clean her horribly messy room. Make her do her own laundry. Also helped her sort through all her books. Worked with Sean in his civics assignment. Sean and Josh went to CLC in the evening. Rick got home from New Jersey about 11:00 p.m.

Thursday - Joshua's 18th birthday! Made bacon and eggs for breakfast. Rick gave Josh a fancy complicated watch. My cyst is really bothering me. I ignore it and go to the water exercise class. Come home, Becky's friends come over to play, got to chat with their mom, a good friend. Drove them home, took Becky to gymnastics. While she's there I buy a lemon cake mix and some ice cream. Pick her up again and come home. Immediately bake cake and start Josh's favorite dinner of spaghetti with meat sauce. Rick gets home a bit after 7:00 p.m. and we all sit down and eat together and then sing happy birthday and have cake and ice cream. My cyst hurts like crazy. I had a terrible time driving around because I couldn't lean back at all.

Friday - Cyst is even worse. I call doctor and talk them into seeing me at 3:30 p.m. I send Josh off to a running class only to have him come back and tell me it starts next week. I do that sort of thing a lot! Rick wound up working from home all day. Did a little more schoolwork with Becky. I've been reading her The White Stag which is the family read aloud for Aquinas. Watched a little more of Nanook. Gathered up a bunch of books and donated them to a good cause. Josh drove them over to the place to drop them off. Went to doctors. NP says it is too inflamed and hard to lance. Prescribes antibiotic and tells me to spend the weekend putting hot compresses on it and then come back early next week to have it removed. Came home feeling really lousy. Took some Advil and kept hot compresses on the darn thing for about an hour. Started to feel much better! Josh ran to the drugstore for me and on the way home picked up sub sandwiches for dinner. God bless that boy!

All week I have been on an urban homesteading jag and I even started a social group at the Well Trained Mind. That has been my escape this week!

So this weekend: nurse stupid swollen cyst. Prep to teach RE class Sunday a.m. Prep to teach at Adler on Monday. Also prep Sean for 1st day of school. Make sure he has clean clothes, has all his work etc in his backpack, make sure I have remaining forms filled out and check to give them Monday a.m. I have to pack him a lunch as well. Becky and I are going to be late for Adler and then we are going to leave early as well, so I can pick Sean up. It's his first day and he really isn't happy about going so I am trying to be there for him and make things go as smoothly as possible. Becky also has her American Heritage Girls meeting on Monday afternoon.

So that's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment