Monday was Becky's Aquinas Learning Day. She enjoys going to 'school' for a day. On that day all the memory work is introduced. The kids also get a Good Books discussion, a lesson in music (yours truly trying to lead it. Yikes!) lunch, recess, IEW/grammar class and Philosophy for Children. Below is our Wall of Learning for Week 2. This goes up on Tuesday morning.
 |
| As you can tell from the blue painter tape, I could not find the scotch tape! |
 |
Here's a close up of our Latin memory work for the week.
|
Becky also went to her second American Heritage Girls meeting Monday. I guess that busy day was too much for her, because she woke up Tuesday morning with a bad sore throat. She was okay if I kept giving her Advil but she was not up for attending her Art class. That means she's missed the first two classes. A fact that makes her very sad. She did do a tiny bit of schoolwork - geography and one page of math but that was it. Wednesday, the sore throat was mostly gone but she was completely stuffed up and even more miserable. So she missed Historical Swordsmanship too. Thursday we did some more AL activity sheets, mostly orally but she still wasn't 100% so she missed gymnastics. Poor thing. She's had not such a good week. Instead we rented the movie Tin Tin and watched it, I read the book Thimble Summer out loud to her, she watched lots of episodes of Phineas and Ferb and lots of AG how to videos, as well as lots of Good Mythical Morning videos. And she spent a lot of time just brushing and playing with her dolls' hair. She even took her old Samantha doll apart and restuffed her! And she's been reading the Prairie Thief as well.
Sean is really doing well this year academically. I know it's only been a couple weeks for his Aquinas Learn stuff, but he was starting off really well before that too with his math and science and handwriting. He's much more into math than he was last year, he suddenly has no problem with handwriting, something he abhorred last year. He is really into doing his Aquinas Learning homework and works very hard and diligently! Hooray! Here are all his books for this year, including the non-Aquinas Learning math and Life Science.
 |
Left column: Art of Argument, Lost Tools of Writing, All Ye Lands, Saxon Algebra I, Elementary Greek. Right column: Wheelock's Latin along with a special workbook that distills Wheelock for 7th and 8th graders, Catechism Student Resource book (especially for AL) and finally Life Science.
Josh is still job searching. Sigh. But he got a 104% on his last Physics exam! Hooray for that too! I'm making Josh earn his keep by running errands for me. I had a terrible migraine all night Monday and ever since my stomach has been unsettled. I don't know what's wrong with me, but his running errands has been wonderful. He's gotten to be a very good driver. So he's been working his way through Saxon's Advanced Math, studying Gov't with his dad (the lesson this week involved reading the whole Declaration of Independence), studying and attending his Physic class and then outlining Warriner's English Grammar and Composition, 5th course, reading How to Read a Book and today he'll watch the next lecture in The American Identity lecture series, work on his timeline and then we begin the first lesson in D'Angelo's Composition in the Classical Tradition.
I'm glad it's Friday. With me feeling under the weather and Becky's cold and the fact that my husband has been crazy stressed at work this week, working long hours and then coming home so drained he looked pale and drawn, I am ready for the weekend! I plan to let him sleep in as much as possible and watch as many football/baseball games as he likes! Tonight I volunteered to help out at our parish's Jr High Youth Group kick off. What was I thinking!!! Ah well, I can relax on Saturday for the most part. Though I have to plan my Religious ed class for Sunday morning and I'm helping to teach the K-3 kids their Science lesson on Monday at AL. Good thing I enjoy lesson planning, LOL!
|
Seano finally finished his little leaf collection project.
The wall of learning is a great idea!
ReplyDeleteYour week looks very productive. I am hoping to really get my children learning Latin this year. I started last year with four kids but my days were becoming so full that I couldn't teach it anymore. My two older children continued but my two struggling readers had to stop. Hopefully we can continue.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by my blog and I enjoyed reading about your week.
Blessings,
Linda<><
I love that leaf print! Do you use any certain nature books with their nature activities and the learning wall is an awesome idea I may have to steal that one!!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun- as always! Great wall idea- checked out Aquinas- woot! Are you loving it?
ReplyDelete