Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Prairie Thief - Book 40

Last week's book was kind of heavy. And I'm also currently reading a rather dry book with my 17 year old, How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler, so I felt the need to read something light this week. I took The Prairie Thief from my 11 year old (she was on the 3rd chapter!), cruel mother that I am! I had bought it because I sorta, kinda know the author. I met her once at a homeschooling conference and I've known her on line for many years. She has a blog, Here In the Bonny Glen and she also authored The Martha Years and the Charlotte Years books (prequels to the Little House books). I read those books out loud to my daughter several years ago and we loved them. So I was eager to read The Prairie Thief, and it proved a lovely, light read. It was so refreshing to read something directed at middle school kids that wasn't dark or trying so hard to be 'edgy'or 'real' to that age group. Instead it is a fun yarn with lots of unexpected twists and a very satisfying ending.

So now I can give it back to my daughter.

For more book reviews, please go to 52 Books.

3 comments:

  1. Refreshing indeed! I just read it with Ramona and we're planning to discuss it next week at our homeschool book club, complete with food (brownies, of course). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fun! I think everyone should wear pointed hats too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! I forgot to mention that pointed hats are part of the deal. :) The kids are each going to make a brownie hat out of felt. :)

    ReplyDelete