I want to do so much reading out loud this coming year. I've had trouble narrowing things down. I really wanted to read a version of Plutarch's Lives out loud, for instance. I've been thinking about that ever since I stumbled onto Ambleside Online years ago. However, I've had to restrain my ambitions, since it turns out that in Sean's Schola Alta program, he'll be reading Famous Men of Greece and Rome this coming year, it seems that it would be redundant to read aloud also what would be much the same material. So, sadly, I put Plutarch away. Instead, I've lighted up the idea of reading Bullfinch's Mythology out loud. I think this is a good idea because 1) Both Sean and Becky are very interested in mythology. 2) the book I'm using is an old one given to my Aunt Jackie by her Aunt Stella for her 13th birthday. I think they'll think that is kind of cool. 3) I've heard some say Bullfinch's is dry but I've been reading it and I think it is charming! I think the kids will get a lot of out of it. I'll only attempt to read the first part, The Age of Fable.
Anyway, the problem is trying to find a time to read aloud because we'll be out bright and early two mornings a week so no morning reading then. Becky and I will be off to Aquinas Learning on Mondays and then Sean will go to a different Aquinas Learning on Thursdays (one that has the Schola Alta). Usually our reading is done pretty casually over breakfast and sometimes lunch. Breakfast has become difficult because of late risers and grumpy-in-the-morning people who only want to be left alone to wake up. However, since we will have to be up two mornings a week, I hope we'll get in the habit of rising at a reasonable time and getting into the mood for learning in a slightly quicker fashion. Yesterday I came up with a plan and taped it up over my desk so I'll remember it when fall rolls around.
Evening means dinner or just after dinner.
Monday evening - Catechism
Tuesday morning - Saint or Religious reading
Tuesday evening - Bullfinch's Mythology<br />
Wednesday morning - Bullfinch's Mythology
Friday morning - The Story of Science (first volume by Joy Hakim)
Every night - read alouds - regular literature/fiction read alouds by either me or Rick.
Every day - a reading hour devoted to assigned or good reading (gotta find a consistent block of time for this)
Mom and Sean - Philosophy reading - Tuesday afternoons (Becky is at art and Josh will be at Physics so it is perfect Mom and Sean time.)
Mom and Josh - Great Books reading discussion - Friday mornings.
No comments:
Post a Comment