Sunday, July 29, 2012

Nourishing Cooking Journal - 7/29/12

I feel I had a pretty good week this past week.  Here are some of my successes:

1.  Ok, so I have a terrible time with Cod Liver Oil.  Have tried to take some now and again over the years and it just made me ill.  Recently, I bought some very expensive capsules on line and kept them in the freezer, but the minute I opened it I could smell menthol.  It wasn't listed in the ingredients but I could smell it.  Well, me and menthol don't get along.  It gives me severe pains for hours and hours.  But I thought, well, if it isn't listed, it must mean there is so little in it as to be considered inconsequential.  I'll try it anyway.  So I did for a couple weeks and then one night the pains came back.  All. night. long.  Awful.  That was before we went to Europe.    I determined to start anew once we got back.  I happened to be next to a natural foods store and just went in and bought Carlon's Lemon Cod Liver Oil.  This week I started taking it.

2. I also started to try to up my coconut oil intake.  I just can't do oils well, though.  It just makes me nauseated.  So here's the plan I came up with and it worked!  I would take just a spoonful of cod liver oil in the a.m. and then drink a whole glass of water to get rid of the icky oil coating down my throat that makes me wretch.  Then I would immediately eat breakfast, just to have something else in my stomach.  This is not the way you are supposed to do it according to Eat Fat, Lose Fat but I can't do it their way just yet.  Also I am not taking the amounts of oil they advocate, but I hope to work up to that.

To take coconut oil, I discovered that if I melt it and stir it into my oatmeal, which I top with maple syrup and fruit, I can eat it just fine.  In fact the oatmeal is really tasty.  I had oatmeal 3x this week.  Two times this week I had a yogurt parfait.  For this I had to wait for the coconut oil to cool a bit.  I got out my plain Greek yogurt (store bought - not making yogurt yet), stirred in the coconut oil, drizzled honey (local!) on top and then folded in fruit.  Yummy!

Saturday I had my 1/2 bagel with cream cheese so I didn't have either my cod liver oil or my coconut oil and you know what, I really went off my diet all day.  Shoot.

However, this a.m. (Sunday) I made my favorite version of healthy french toast:

Ezekiel's Cinnamon Raisin bread (from Trader Joe's)
Farm fresh butter (from local dairy)
Coconut oil (Dr. Bronner's from Whole Foods)
Farm fresh eggs from CSA
A splash of organic milk (not raw - haven't gotten there yet)
Cinnamon
Sea Salt
Fair Trade Raw Cane Sugar (from Trader Joe's)

Crack a couple eggs into a wide bowl.  Add a splash of milk, a couple of cranks of sea salt, some generous sprinkles of cinnamon and sugar and stir and beat til well mixed.

Dip the Ezekiel's bread in and saturate both sides.

Melt equal parts of butter and coconut oil in a wide frying pan.

Fry up French toast.

Serve with fruit and warm maple syrup (grade B organic)

Everybody loves this breakfast!!!!!  Hooray!

Another great recipe I tried this week is this one.  I felt so cool grinding my wheat and then soaking in yogurt overnight.  Becky helped me make the pizza pockets and everybody loved them too.  I think I will make that a staple for every other week for either lunch or dinner.

I also made chicken broth again this week. But I don't think I will this coming week. I have enough already to get me through the week. I really need to come up with other chicken recipes for cooked chicken. The plan is supposed to be that we have roast chicken once a week, a meal from the leftovers and then I make broth. But the only thing I do with the leftover chicken is make chicken salad. Sean, Rick and I will eat that but not Becky. Don't know about Josh. And frankly I've always found chicken salad a bit on the boring side. And more for lunch then dinner. And I want a dinner recipe that everybody will enjoy.

So this coming week, I'm going to find a different recipe for cooked chicken. I'm also going to make whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. When I ground the wheat for the pizza pockets, I ground way too much. I've got it in the fridge but I want to use it up before it goes rancid. I think I'll make pancakes for dinner one day this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment