Monday, December 27, 2010

Understanding Comics

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art


This is a very cool book that my 18 year old gave my 11 year old for Christmas.  I'm next in line to read it.  I was intrigued by it when Sean, the 11 year old, started reading some to me.  The author/illustrator, Scott McCloud was trying to define just what a comic is.  We got into a discussion about why it is necessary to clearly define words in order to have a productive discussion.    The book discusses both the form and content of the art of comics.  And he does this all in comic book format.  This kind of thing is right up Sean's alley for he has a very analytical mind.

Here's the back cover blurb from Garry Trudeau

"In one lucid, well-designed chapter after another, he guides us through the elements of comics style, and . . . how words combine with pictures to work their singular magic.  When the 215-page journey is finally over, most readers will find it difficult to look at comics in quite the same way ever again."

McCloud addresses elements of design, the way we perceive things, the different styles of comics and so much more.  It looks fascinating!

2 comments:

  1. It's one of those books that's about more than what it's about, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's 12 My 11 yo turned 12 on 12/22 but apparently I haven't adjusted to this!

    ReplyDelete