Since I've been on the subject of math lately and since last night I was chatting with some other homeschooling moms and the subject of math came up, I thought I'd post some links to interesting articles that discuss alternative ways to learn math.
Here's one that is sort of a gathering of anecdotal stories from unschooling/homeschooling moms.
And here's another from the same blog that discusses a 1929 experiment on teaching (or not teaching!) kids elementary math.
Enjoy!
I've never considered math to be put up high and unreachable, but I think how it is taught in school makes it this way. IMO, math shouldn't be graded. Instead it should be worked on until the concept is understood and can be used or applied. I do think math needs to be a focused activity. I would not leave it up to my children to decide to do math or any other subject. They'd just become too feral, and they're already pretty rough around the edges.
ReplyDelete