Thursday, December 16, 2010

Unschooling Math Some More!



How Math Works (How It Works)

Since Advent the little bit of formal math we do has pretty much gone by the wayside for a while.  But since I did my usual thing of moving books from the shelf to the coffee table, there are a lot of math books lying about.  Last week, Becky and I had looked through this book, just casually.  I mentioned to her that her older sister had a done a science fair project from this book on how computers use the binary number system.  Well, a few days later, Becky got inspired to make a 'computer' like her older sister had done.  She had fun making it but I wasn't sure she'd actually gotten the concept of binary numbers down.


Fast forward to yesterday.  It was midmorning and we'd done some penmanship but I wanted to do something else too that was 'educational', so I said, "Hey kids, let me read aloud to you about math.  Here's the book Hannah says I should read to you."  Sean protested that he wanted to do a Sudoku while I read to him.  He got out his DSI and started on a Sudoku Extra.  He showed me his strategy for figuring out what number went where.  He's very systematic about it.

The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical CatSo I started reading.  We read about Thales figuring out how to measure the height of the Great Pyramid of Cheops.  Sean vaguely remembered the story from when I read it aloud years ago.  After that, I picked up this book and said, "I've never really read this book.  Let's see what it's about."  Well, the very first topic in the book was about the base 2 number system!  So I read it.  Becky was a bit puzzled by it, so I grabbed a scrap of paper and pencil and we figured it out.  And she got it!




No comments:

Post a Comment