Tuesday, November 9, 2010

TVTropes

This is a newly discovered website my 15 year old is fascinated with.  It might be a bit adult so I don't recommend it for anyone under 15.  The site does warn you if you are stumbling into an area there that might be 'less than family friendly.' So you might want to check it out before your teens do.  My kids are very self-censoring, so I don't worry so much about that kind of stuff (though I do keep an eye out for any problems).  But in spite of the above caveat, the site is a very cool trove of information and analysis on every kind of story that exists!   I mean everything from classic literature to graphic novels to comic books to TV sitcoms.  If the world is telling a story in some way, shape or form it has gotten included in TVTropes.

What it basically teaches is literary analysis and critical thinking.  It's hard for me to even describe it accurately.  A trope in this sense of the word is a theme or device used in a story.  Contributors from all over the world have identified tropes and then have developed lists of the various stories that use that trope.  So under one particular trope, you'll find everything from Homer to Archie comics! It's really fascinating and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment