I'm posting about this resource because I am in mourning. I've been thinking about it lately. We used it years ago. I wanted to pull it out and maybe use it with my younger kids and . . . .I can't find it! Where, oh where did I put it???? This happens to me so often. I'll think I've been organized and stored things away only to find that I didn't!
The version I had was the old one, I believe, because I don't think it was particularly "Catholic' in flavor. But the link is to the latest edition which has been revised. I'm tempted. Should I buy it again????
I've decided that 'character' is going to be a theme for 2011. I believe that I stressed this more with my older ones and haven't as much with my youngers. And truth be told my youngers are bit spoiled, I think because, well ,because of birth order I think! And the fact that I'm older and less energetic might have something to do with that as well.
Anyway, the way I recall using this resource is that I'd read the reading about whichever virtue we were studying as a read aloud over breakfast. Then we'd have a discussion about it. Then I'd read the various suggested projects to go along with it. Sometimes the kids didn't want to do anything, but sometimes they did. Sometimes we'd do something all together and sometimes one child would be interested in something but another child wouldn't so each would kind of go off and do their own thing. Sometimes a child would not be interested in doing a project right then but later in the day or even the week, they'd remember about it and want to do it. It was all good in my book. To me presenting the idea of the virtue in a story and then discussing it was the meat of the program and everything after that was icing on the cake (to mix food metaphors!).
No comments:
Post a Comment