- Weeded in the herb bed and made a slight dent in the Bindweed and Horsenettle. I also weeded some in the Coneflowers (which were being strangled by the Bindweed) and the Lenten Roses. There was an empty patch of mulch behind the thyme and rosemary that has been completely taken over by Stilt grass and Horsenettle. It has almost annihilated my Rosemary! It's a big area so I though that would be a place where I could try the smother with cardboard idea. I tried and it looks woefully inadequate.
- In the afternoon (just now) I had S help me I broke up more boxes and had him get up into the bed (it is raised and my balance is not good. Just trying to hoist myself up on the garden retaining wall and then trying to carefully walk between the wanted plants to get to the weeds is impossible for me) and put more cardboard down and also to hold down the cardboard with chunks of firewood because the cardboard wasn't heavy enough to actually smother the weeds.
- I also cut out the Black Walnut saplings trying to take over the spirea. At first I only notice one but once I got in there I realized there were several saplings. I can see portions of the spirea that are starting to die.
- I also worked on pulling more bindweed in the Spirea.
My plan is to work 15 or 20 minutes every morning before it gets hot. And then if the day turns out to be ok weather wise and I have the opportunity to work some more when I can.
I am off to research how to prune a pumpkin plant!
No comments:
Post a Comment