Sunday, June 7, 2020
Purgatory by Dante - Classics Spin
I am a week late with this post. I didn't quite finish my Classics Spin in time. I was a day late (first time!), but I did get it read. And I am glad I did. I feel slightly more educated. I have heard about Dante's Divine Comedy for ages and ages and now I have officially read the first two books, Inferno and Purgatio. Maybe one day I'll get to Paridisio as well!
I mostly read Anthony Esolen's translation for its ease and clarity; a real pleasure to read. I found his notes very helpful. However, I also would dip into Dorothy L. Sayers translation which I also enjoyed. But what makes her edition so powerful for me were her extensive, clear and masterfully done notes to explain all that was going on in the text. Really, her brilliance shone through her explanations and she made my enjoyment and comprehension of the story so much deeper. I think her take on the masterpiece is a masterpiece in and of itself.
There is so much going on in this story. Dante was brilliant. He combines references to ancient Greek and Roman literature and history, Scripture and Catholic liturgy, contemporary (to him) literature and politics, (even science!) as well as a deep exploration of theology sometimes orthodox (like relying on Thomas Aquinas) and sometimes a little heterodox (his own sort of theological meanderings). All this written in a particular poetic style that employed so many clever devices such as acrostics, number play, plays on words, etc.
I only glanced the surface. But what I saw was illuminating and admirable. I so appreciate the Classics Club because at long, long last I am getting around to reading great literature I've heard about all my life and didn't get to in my years of formal education.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment