Sunday, November 24, 2019

The Four Loves - Book 50



The Four Loves by C. S. Lewis was a reread for me.  I first read it about 10 years ago when using the Lightning Lit British Christian authors study guide with my oldest two teens.  I remember reading it and being amazed at all the new ideas it presented to me, having never really thought deeply about love!  But I didn't actually remember the content much, it turns out.  I started this book a few months ago when I believe it was Classical Carousel who hosted a group read.  I started it and then somehow it got swept up in a pile of papers I didn't get around to working through until months later (the curse of having TOO much counter space, I have found!!!).  So I unearthed again just in time for Non-fiction November. 

I enjoyed the first chapter which talks about love in a very philosophical manner as being of two varieties:  gift-love and need-love.  Lewis then proceeds to discuss the four types of love; these types are based on Ancient Greek categories:  affection, friendship, eros and charity.  Lewis then examines each type in light of gift-love and need-love.  While his analysis was thought-provoking and there is a lot of wisdom in his observations, I was put off quite a bit by his characterizations.  Maybe he went on as he did about the 'natural loves' (as opposed to supernatural love - God) in order to emphasize the last love of charity which is of divine origin.  First of all I think all love is from God.  The 'natural' as well as the supernatural.  God created nature and saw it was good.  I was not comfortable with Lewis talking trash about affection (which is something that arises from being in a family or just being near someone due to circumstances, say a neighbor or a co-worker), or friendship (which he gives the best characterization to I think because in his own life it had the deepest effect, what with being in World War I which must have been a huge bonding experience with the other soldiers and also being a bachelor for so long in academia.  We all know about his regular group of friends that met for years at the Eagle and the Child pub.)  With Eros, I just bristled a bit at his long lecture on why we should laugh more about sex.  Um, maybe this was an issue back in 1950s but it hardly is now.  And then his idea of sex being a pagan sacrament first with sort of a Christian overlay?  I honestly didn't understand that.  Didn't God create Adam and Eve before the fall?  Sex makes us co-creators with God of new children whom He sent his son to suffer and die for in order to redeem.  It is thoroughly Christian in my view from the get go, if it was always part of God's plan.

The best chapter was the final one on Charity.  It really packs a powerful emotional charge.  There are many passages that stand out.  I definitely had the least number of quibbles with it.  However, I think in many fundamental ways I simply have a different view and experience with love.  I would like to read more Catholic approaches to this topic, to see if I jive more with them or if maybe I'm just ignorant (probably!) and need some schooling in the subject! 

For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment