Monday, October 3, 2016

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

We think it is the year 5777.  But for some reason we are having trouble confirming that, even in this age of google.

We didn't have granddad over, he was visiting Peggy's family and going to shul with them.  But I did roast a chicken and it was delicious.  I wish I had a photo because it came out gorgeous.

I took a whole chicken rubbed the inside with salt and stuffed with big chunks of a chopped onion.  Then I rubbed olive oil and garlic salt all over the outside.  I put it in my big dutch oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then I turned it down to 350.  I chopped up three sweet potatoes and a delicata squash (all gotten from our CSA) and I threw them into the pot with the chicken.  Lovely orange and golden colors. About half way through the cooking time, I poured some melted butter over everything and I also sprinkled fresh rosemary all over everything (also from CSA.)

It came out absolutely scrumptious!  Of course the sweet potatoes weren't made in the traditional tzimmes way, but close enough for us!  I should have had challah bread but I forgot.

We also had a big green salad with everything from our CSA (except for the cucumbers which were from the grocery store).  For dessert I bought a Jewish Apple Cake from Whole Foods.  We also had apple slices and honey.

Here is a really cute video explaining Rosh Hashanah and the blowing of the shofar.


No comments:

Post a Comment