Well, I think Xenophon does fit, but it takes some explaining!
Our present day university system originated in the universities started by the Catholic church way back. The oldest is the University of Bologna established in 1088. Oxford University started in 1096. These universities were outgrowths of the monastery schools of the Middle Ages. So the university originated with the Catholic Church.
![]() |
| The University of Bologna |
A hallmark of classical learning is the study of classical languages, Latin and Greek.
Right now I am teaching a Latin course to middle/high schoolers. We are using a textbook written back in the 1950s by a Father Henle; a past president of Georgetown University among other claims to fame. The interesting thing about his Latin 1 textbook is that it prepares the student for reading his Latin 2 textbook, which is a simplified and abridged De Bello Gallico, or The Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar. Caesar's book was traditionally the first Latin book read by students because of its plain writing style and gripping story line.
![]() |
| Xenophon |
Well, did you know that when students study Greek, the first book they usually study (at least traditonally) was Anabasis by Xenophon for the same reasons; plain style, gripping story? Xenophon was a minor officer in a mercenary army that fought for a Persian guy named Cyrus. He (Cyrus) was trying to take over his brother's rule. So there the army was in the middle of Persia when catastrophe struck. The leader and many of the officers were killed in a ruse. Xenophon rose to leadership as the army of 10,000, caught in hostile territory, had to figure out how to get out of Persia in one piece. It is a thrilling adventure story based on a historical event.
In my own Catholic homeschool, I attempted to be somewhat classical. Once, after having read that little factoid that the Anabasis was the first book students tried in Greek, I happened to be at a used books sale (I am addicted to books!) and I found a lovely gem called The Exploits of Xenophon by Geoffrey Household. I took it home and read it and then handed it off to my at-the-time 12 year old son who was going through an Ancient history jag. Though we might not be reading it in Greek, at least we know the story! He read it and enjoyed it as much as I did. I can highly recommend it for middle school on up.
So there ya go! X is for Xenophon!



No comments:
Post a Comment