I haven't seen Thumbelina since Thursday afternoon. It is now Sunday. She has never, ever disappeared like this before. It all started with the Direct TV guy. Somehow we lost 1/4 the channels we were supposed to be getting. Two of channels were Rick's beloved NFL station and then BBC America (Dr Who!) was also on the fritz. Thursday was going to be my stay at home while repairmen come day. First the chimney sweeps guys came and then later in the day the Direct TV guy. The satellite dish is up on top of our screen porch. I didn't even think about how much it would spook Thumbelina that a strange man was putting a ladder against the house and banging around on the roof. She lives out there in her little cat house and spends most of her time sleeping on the wicker sofa. Anyway, I remember when I took the guy out to show him where the dish was, Thumbelina was out there. Later that night when I went to feed her, she was gone. I thought, oh dear, I bet the guy spooked her. She is crazy afraid of everything. But I thought she'd show up at least by the next morning for food. But she didn't. Then I started thinking. . . early Tuesday morning I saw a fox running across our lawn into the little woods at back. We've had fox around here for years though and the cats never had a problem. But I do wonder if Thumbelina didn't go hide in the woods and the fox got her. I didn't hear any screeching or fighting, but then I wasn't listening. I've gone out looking for her but she's just vanished.
| Thumbelina being introduced to our puppy Tillie (6 years ago) |
Well, last night Clover didn't come in to eat. The others in the family swear they saw him last night, but I think they are misremembering because I looked for him to feed him and he wasn't around. This morning he did not show up for breakfast. Now, he is a wandering kitty and he could just be up to his old shenanigans. Once he was gone for a full two days. Usually, though he just misses one meal and he hasn't really done that in a while. As Rick says, we are still holding out hope, but I think it is strange that he's missing right after Thumbelina.
I keep wandering out in the yard. Trying to poke around in the woods, looking for clues.
Where, oh where are my kitties?
I think it would be ironic (probably not the word) that Milky, the one I have been wanting to give away, becomes our only cat. She's an indoor cat, so she doesn't have to worry about foxes (if it was a fox). She's such a pain but actually she's mellowing. The funny thing is she had finally stopped fighting with the other cats and they all were starting to get along. And now this.
Clover is our favorite. He is so handsome and lithe. So full of confidence and curiosity. He has so much personality. And I really thought he was a brave warrior who could take on the world. I remember one time, more than a year ago, hearing him meow at the front door. This was at night. So I went and opened the door and there he was sitting, not frantic or frightened in the least, and behind him a few yards out where I couldn't see because it was dark, I heard a fox barking right at us. I thought, whoa Clover, you are some cat.
![]() |
| Thumbelina kind of blended in with our family room couch. |
Anyway, maybe Clover will come back. I can't find a photo of Clover to put up here. Probably Becky has some. Clover is officially her cat. We've only owned Clover for a couple of years, but we had Thumbelina for 12 years.
I'm worried and sad.

So sorry...hope your beloved kitties make it back safe and sound. :(
ReplyDeleteThank you, Essy! Clover came back. Now just poor Thumbelina is gone.
Delete