@7:00 I thought I would journal this day, just to record it. This week we swing from the lazy days of summer into gear for the fall academic season. We aren't into high gear until next week, so this week is orientation week more or less.
Clover the cat came back this a.m! I got up early @5:30 and when I went to let the dog out, there he was! So that's a relief. Still wondering about Thumbelina though.
(I have been trying off and on all day to post a picture of Clover from my phone and I just can't seem to get it to work. Bah.)
9:00 Morning not shaping up as I would like. Got the kids up at 8, said prayers. Becky was in a rotten mood from the beginning (what's new?) Sean kept falling asleep; wouldn't sit up as I asked him to, to help stay awake.
Breakfast - Initially the first science video (University of Nottingham's Elements series) went well; but went on a bit too long. Saw a second one though that updated the info. Won't recount the bickering and complaining going on during it all.
Listened to Caedmon's Hymn in Old English. Had a spat so took a break, but break was frustrating too because I couldn't get into the shower and was feeling really angry at the kids. I wish I could not take every unkindness so personally. Typed out my feelings and prayed. Oh, now the shower is free.
11:00 a.m. Prayed and the shower helped a lot. Reconvened the kids. Sean went off to do his math homework, which I don't think he really did, maybe one problem. He resolved that after every task he was going to take a nap. He then proceed to lay down on the couch and fall asleep again. Sigh.
I asked Becky what she wanted to do for math. I said I just wanted to do a little gentle review. She said no, so we watched the very first section of the Geometry DVD and then I read a little from the textbook. Mostly she was paying attention to Clover, but we did talk a little. She asked why she didn't have a tutor. I said remember when Mrs. Zinn left you said you didn't want a tutor anymore because nobody would ever replace Mrs. Zinn? She said, boy was I a dumb 13 yo (or words to that effect). I said let's just try our original plan from last spring and see if it works. If it doesn't we can go to plan B. She asked if she had to do the science textbook from last year. I said no. We will still follow the order of topics and we might use some of the workbook sheets and experiments, but we'll pull from other sources. She liked that idea.
My plan for physical science (so she can finish it up and get credit for science and a lab) is to do the following:
1. Watch video explaining the topic
2. Write out vocabulary
3. Read something about the topic
4. Do an experiment and somehow document it.
Becky went off to take a shower while I was planning all this.
Now we are getting ready to go to lunch and school supply shopping.
3:00 Lunch and supplies shopping put people in a better mood. Came home and everybody did their own thing. Sean got on the computer to listen to Hooked on Classics - something he loves to hate. I went and read some more of my book and took a little nap. Becky made a new pencil case out of the duct tape we bought at the store.
I asked the kids which book they wanted to listen to first The Screwtape Letters or Mere Christianity. I think the idea of The Screwtape Letters kind of creeps Becky out so we went for Mere Christianity.
Becky and I talked about how she's learning Latin this year. She basically wants to self-study using Cambridge. Fine with me!
Sean's physical trainer should be here in 15 minutes. While he's working out, I plan to vacuum and dust bedrooms and clean my master bathroom.
7:30 p.m. Well, I did my chores, except I still need to scrub the sink and the shower. My wrists have been hurting lately. They are right now. Wonder if it is carpal tunnel?
According to our new family housekeeping list Sean's laundry day is supposed to be Saturday, but I noticed he really needed some clean clothes so I threw on a couple of loads for him.
Made a yummy egg, bacon, potato and cheddar cheese casserole for dinner. Had leftover salad with it with my own homemade creamy Italian salad dressing that is powerfully garlicky. I need some Scope!
Tomorrow Sean is going in with Rick to work where hopefully he'll work on his Algebra and History homework and get to spend some time with dad. Becky and I are going into Aquinas Learning. It is mentor orientation morning and Becky is babysitting the kids while the moms meet. I have to remember to 1) return library books/cds and 2) buy a lot of chicken. I signed up to bake chicken for 16 (or something like that, I had better check) for a homeless shelter our parish is working with. I have to deliver it early Wednesday morning.
Josh came home all excited. He was talking to the co-worker who is being promoted to general manager. Josh wants to become a permanent, instead of seasonal, worker so he really wants the job 'cashier'. Cashier seems to be more than just running the boat store there though. You actually are in charge of billing the clients of the marina for their slips and maintenance. So it is more like bookkeeper job plus running the store. They have actually been training him. So he is very hopeful he'll get the job, though they did put out an ad and they are interviewing people. I am saying a little prayer that he gets it. I think he'll be bummed if he doesn't. Anyway, Jeff said to Josh today that he definitely is the frontrunner for the slot.
Funny aside. They told Josh that he needed better handwriting. Apparently you have to still handwrite in this job. So Josh is working on writing more neatly. He used to write very neatly! But I think he got lazy since 11th grade, the last time I made him do copy work. I actually found an old penmanship book and gave it to him and he was actually grateful. I do think it is funny (well, not funny ha ha) how my kids handwriting regresses so quickly if they don't practice it. Rick has terrible, barely legible handwriting. I think they get it from him.
Well this day started off tense with grumpy teens and an overly sensitive mom, but it has gotten steadily better. I am feeling pretty good (except for my aching wrists).
No comments:
Post a Comment