This week was about me managing my kidney stone pain. At least I think that is what it is. It feels just like that other kidney stone I had two years ago. It was really bad on Monday, a little better on Tuesday, horrible on Wednesday and much better yesterday. Right now I am barely aware of it. So, that's good!
Sean attended his art class at the community college every day (M-Th). He likes the class and he seems to be doing well in the drawing department. He really got perspective down very nicely. Now they are working in charcoal and I think he's flailing a little bit with that. I've got an arrangement with Hannah that she picks him up some of the time and takes him for driving practice. We've gotta get him driving!
Sean also worked on his Algebra II this week with his tutor. She's an old friend so it is nice getting to chat with her a couple times a week. Girlfriend time!
Sean is starting to wean off his medication very, very gradually. It is kind of a bad time for it though because it has been really rainy and overcast and he hasn't been exercising either. His physical trainer is on vacation right now. But so far so good.
Becky is still so happily part of The Music Man. She has rehearsals every night. All day she practices her dance moves, plays with her hair and make up, sings, reads and chats with friends on line.
I am feeling so stumped about Latin with her. We were booking through Henle but she went into full scale rebellion. Honestly that book is so deadly, deadly dull. Awful stuff. Especially for girls. She who loved Latin before and thought it was fun now hates with all the drama a 13 yo can muster up (and that's a lot!).
So I am just taking the order of different things she needs to learn from Henle but going elsewhere to find ways to learn them. Yesterday all we did was review the 5th declension and then she read some Latin paragraphs from Ecce Romani. But it was a very little bit. We'll never be up to speed by September if we go at this rate. I've got to get my mojo back again! One thing I am relying on heavily is the Latin Tutorials at youtube. They are great! Very succinct, clear, short presentations. I highly recommend them.
Becky is supposed to be attending some voice lessons over the summer but they are at different times than her usual lessons during the year, so of course we forgot completely about it and missed on yesterday. I was in bed resting my kidneys and she was busy curling her hair for photo shoot for the musical and we both completely forgot.
Becky is in a girls book club and they are supposed to be reading To Kill a Mockingbird but she seems reluctant to start it. I wish she would. It is such a great book. I think I over encouraged her to read it and now she is sort of balking because she is 13 and doesn't want to read something mom keeps pushing.
Speaking of 13 - she's turning 14 in two days! Holy cow, how did that happen!!!!
Josh is continuing to go to work. Every week he has a different plan for what he wants to do when this seasonal job ends. Rick and I told him he has to come up with a plan for a future career this fall. Right now though he's decided on land surveyor. It looks like he just takes 5 semesters worth of surveying classes at night through the public schools workforce training dept. Then he has to pass an exam to be certified or licensed or whatever the proper term is. Then he has to get an apprenticeship. Or maybe he can get the apprenticeship while he is studying? I am so grateful to the state of Virginia for holding on to apprenticeships as a way of launching a career. Apparently many other states now require you to attend a 4 year college and get a bachelor's degree. But not in Virginia. They still do it the old fashion way. Maybe because of George Washington? Though Virginia clings to those old ways. I remember my father saying that Virginia was one of the last states that let you become a lawyer via apprenticeship. As long as you could pass the bar, you were good to go. He said many legal secretaries would do this and it actually benefitted women. They'd be legal secretaries for years, learning all about the law, so then the attorney they worked for would make them official apprentices and help them study for the bar. They never had to borrow money for tuition or anything. But all the law schools got together along with the bar association and gradually pressured all the states to change. Virginia was one of the last hold outs. Dad said it was ridiculous. You'd have these legal secretaries who knew way more about the law than these newly graduated law students, yet they couldn't practice and the others could. Sometimes progress is stupid.
Will is doing pretty well up in Cambridge. He's got his radio show tonight. That is always a big hairy issue for him - getting the musical acts, writing the skits, etc. He's a bit down because he wants a real job. He's waiting tables but they don't have enough work for him really. He's got all these little naggy things to do that don't have hard deadlines and require a lot of thinking about detail. It is kind of depressing. Rick had to go to Boston this week for a case he's working on. He got to have dinner with Will.
Hannah has been busy looking for a permanent teaching job. She interviewed yesterday at the school where she was a long term sub. Keeping our fingers crossed! She's also interviewed with several other places. She is coming over today to help me clean out the basement.
I got to visit with another girlfriend yesterday morning which was fun. And next week Lisa is coming for a visit. So life is good.
I finally finished registering for CDU. Today's assignment is to get my transcripts for my B.A. and J.D. delivered. Now they do all that electronically. Maybe Hannah will help me figure that process out. Other schooly stuff I have to do: I have yet to send in the end of year testing for grading. I. MUST. DO. THAT. TODAY!
No comments:
Post a Comment