This week rushed by. Sean is attending his community college drawing class. He had a mid-term on Thursday in it. This really just entailed the art teacher meeting one on one with him, checking off that he had done all the homework and then somehow awarding him the grade of 91. So I guess Sean's doing pretty well.
Hannah took him driving once this week. So that hasn't taken off so well.
Also, Sean hasn't done much math this week as his first meeting with the tutor was moved to Wed because she was visiting family out of town. But then she got really sick, so no math tutor at all this week. Sean is, however, supposed to be keeping up with the assignments which isn't really happening. Maybe this afternoon.
Sean is still tapering off his meds and we have had some repercussions. He had a bad migraine all night on Sunday. And yesterday he was fighting the blues. I am a little worried. I am completely fixated on the The Mood Cure and completely overwhelmed by it.
Becky and I have been hobbling along with Latin. My new strategy was to watch the Great Courses Latin 101, which we've been doing but she is very reluctant about it of course. Then today, we had a big negotiating session in which I completely capitulated.
Here's my reasoning: Becky liked Latin. But me trying to speed teacher with Henle during the summer was killing that love. This is a kid who won an award in 7th grade for Latin and then also did well on the National Latin Exam Level 1 (cum laude) this past year in 8th grade. I remember having such a bad impression of Henle when I tried to do it with Will many years ago. I thought, well, that was before I knew much Latin and I was so overwhelmed, I bet it is not as bad as I remember. So many people like and use it! Well, it is deadly, deadly dull. I even talked to my friend who taught all her kids Latin and is a language teacher herself (albeit of Russian) and she said that she hated Henle! Henle might be great for some but not for many. Unfortunately I am still going to have to teach it. And maybe in a classroom situation it will work out better. The woman who plans it all for Aquinas Learning works hard and recommends stuff like giving the kids candy for right answers, etc. I am not that kind of teacher, but maybe I'll have to cop that approach. I will strive to make it as interesting and as enjoyable as possible. And I resolve not to complain about it to the powers that be at the co-op.
So Becky is not going to take Latin at the co-op next year. I will teach Latin there but she'll just help out with the Parva kids. Then she'll study at home using Cambridge and also aiming towards taking the NLE II test. She's not that interested in certamen, but she said she'd be an alternate at times. She wants to direct the Latin nativity play. We'll see about that. I decided though it is better to be on our own Latin paths. No more Latin this summer. She can start up with Cambridge Unit 2 for the fall semester and then Cambridge 3 for the spring.
In other big news, I am now enrolled at Catholic Distance University in their Masters Program. So come September I will be taking their intro course that all students have to take on Catholicism and also their Graduate Research Skills class.
I do a lot of capitulating around here, myself.
ReplyDelete