I'd like to highlight a homeschool Latin program that I think has gotten overlooked, unfortunately.
Way back when, and frankly I don't remember the chronological order of all these programs we sampled, I was looking for a good Latin program for my kids that didn't require any knowledge on the part of the homeschooling mom and that had more meat and exercises than Latina Christiana*, was not completely dry and maybe even a little bit fun. I searched and searched and stumbled on Schola Latina. This is a pretty obscure program. This was back when the choices for elementary school kids were Latina Christiana, Latin's Not so Tough and the Latin Road to English Grammar; before the flashier Latin for Children or Visual Latin or even Memoria Press' First Form Latin were on the homeschooling market. I guess this must have been around 2002 or 2003, somewhere in there. Anyway, somehow I found out about it and decided to give it a whirl and. . . it worked. We really liked it. The primary guinea pig was Joshua my middle son who was about 10 at the time. He was my most workbooky child. Workbooks, as a rule, didn't really work well for my kids, with some exceptions. And Schola Latina was one of them. It is a bit similar to Latina Christiana but I thought better organized, had more depth, and had more opportunities to practice in fun ways.
I always wonder why it isn't better known. It really ought to be. The author is located in Oklahoma, so maybe it is a regional thing and maybe people out west are more familiar with it I was even wondering if it still existed since I wound up not using it for Sean (see tomorrow's post!). It is a spiral bound, home published sort of curriculum. Maybe, Ken Stephenson, the author wasn't selling anymore. But it looks like he is and he even has a facebook page.
Anyway, I give it two hearty thumbs up!
* This was before Latina Christiana was revised or before they added the Ludere book. I don't mean to keep bashing Latina Christiana. It's just that it was our first encounter with Latin and it flopped, for us. And it was the program everybody around us was using and raving about. Frustrating! I actually like many products by Memoria Press and I love their magalogue!
No comments:
Post a Comment