Tuesday, February 19, 2013

GF/CF note for Monday 2/18/13

Thought I'd jot down yesterday's dietary news.

Breakfast was a success for me and Becky. We like the Peanut Butter Panda Puffs with almond milk. I put sliced banana on mine. Tasty, filling and quick. Becky doesn't believe in fruit on cereal but she liked hers too. Sean does not like them, I learned. So instead he had peanut butter on rice cakes. He was happy with that. Josh was very discouraged that there was no real milk in the house. Later on in the day he went out got bread and milk to keep him and Rick happy.

Even though I was sick, I sent Becky to Aquinas. I packed her up some of the last of the cheese and then a lot of gluten free stuff to snack on. I think I really have to buy a bunch of boxes of gluten free chicken nuggets from Whole Foods and just cook up 5 or 6 for her lunch on Mondays. As it was, she was so ravenous that we stopped at McDonalds on the way home from picking her up and she had not gluten free chicken nuggets and french fries. Sigh. It really is hard with that girl.

I had a great lunch. I ate a big salad with some left over steak on it, oil and vinegar for dressing. Sean didn't know what he wanted. I served him some gf/cf lunch meat on little toothpick skewers and some corn chips with hummus. He refused the hummus (even though he's liked it before) and was suspicious of the blue in the corn chips. Note so to self: don't buy blue corn chips. He was still hungry a bit later so he wound up eating pb and rice cakes again.

I need to buy more peanut butter!

Dinner - another fail! I don't know what it is with me and not being able to defrost chicken in time. I thought I had gotten it out early enough in the day (11 or so) that by 5 it would be defrosted. It was a big whole chicken and it was still partially frozen. I ran it under water and wrestled with it a bit and put back when I thought we'd eat dinner by a half hour. I made really good roasted potatoes. I peeled and chopped up potatoes into smallish chunks, nuked them in the microwave to 'parboil' them, then rolled them in some olive oil, garlic salt, salt and pepper and stuck them in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. Yum! I dumped the last of the mushrooms on too. Everyone loved them. But the chicken wasn't finished cooking. In fact it was still half raw. So Rick, who was hungry, ordered chinese food from P.F. Changs because I'd read they had a big gluten free menu. By the time he got home with the food though the chicken was cooked. So I have to do something with it. The chinese food was good! I only ate a little because by that time it was 8 and I was getting tired and didn't feel like eating anymore.

Today, I am seriously considering eating the Chinese food for breakfast (Becky and Josh can have eggs), going to our planned lunch at Five Guys and then doing something with the chicken for dinner tonight. I might doctor up some soup and put lots of chicken in it. Tomorrow we can have chicken salad for lunch.



2 comments:

  1. Just a thought, when we first went gf we went crazy on peanut butter, dd ended up with bad stomach aches from too much legume. Try mixing it up with other nut butters. We love almond butter on dried mangoes- the plain dried ones not the sugar syrupy ones. We do Chinese for breakfast a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son loves those dried mangos from Trader Joe's. I feel like we are doing so much almond milk, I don't know if I want to go with Almond butter too. I'll see what else is out there. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete