Thursday, August 9, 2012

{pretty, happy, funny, real} 8/9/12

{pretty}

Becky looked out the window Tuesday evening and gasped, then grabbed my camera and ran outside.  The sky was the most gorgeous, vivid coral-ish red.  Breathtaking!



{happy}

Somebody got her Felicity doll back from the American Girl hospital.  This was another birthday present.  Becky waited three long weeks for her doll to come back whole.  Actually, this doll is 15 years old and belonged to Becky's older sister before her.  Poor Felicity had lost an arm and one leg was very near to falling off.  Her face was pretty smudged up too.  But now she's back where she belongs.  All fixed up!



{funny}

Here's Seano being goofy.  This was taken on our last day in our hotel room in Madrid.  We were sooo tired and ready to go home.  Here's a funny story from this week.  See those glasses he's wearing?  He lost them this week. Second pair he's lost since January!  Argh!  So we went to Hour Eyes to have them replaced, but alas, they did not have his prescription in stock so we were told we had to wait 14 days for new glasses.  When I relayed this fact to Rick, he quipped:   "14 days!  That company should call themselves Two Week Eyes."    Get it?  Two weak eyes?  Hahahahahahaha.  I love my husband.



{real}

This is really real.  This is my new deodorant!


It works better than any other deodorant I've ever used!  I use to take a shower in the a.m. and dutifully apply deodorant before getting dressed.  By the time I climbed into bed at night, I have to admit, I smelled a little gamey!  I came across the suggestion to use baking soda when I was perusing this site, which is trying to rid our lives of plastic (which is both ecologically disastrous as well as chemically bad for our health. I read a really good book on this subject). Then I read about a study done on breast cancer which said that in a huge number of breast cancer cases they found that the cancer cells had parabens in them, something we absorb through our deodorant. (The article I read was scary. This link is more objective in its presentation of the facts.)

My oldest sister had breast cancer, so I guess I get the willies about it pretty easily. I decided what's the harm in trying the baking soda alternative? No plastic containers to throw into a landfill for thousands of years and no possibly dangerous chemicals.

I dug out of my cupboard the only remaining ramekin from a set I inherited many years ago. I dumped some baking soda into it, got some cotton pads and powdered it on under my arms. It worked! Wonderfully! So now I'm telling everybody!

Becky thinks I'm dumb for making this the {real} section, but I told her the other ladies would understand and appreciate my sharing this little tip. Right?

For more {pretty, happy, funny, real} posts go to Like Mother, Like Daughter.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good - maybe I'll try it. Thanks for sharing!
    Beautiful sunset, too.

    ReplyDelete