Monday, August 15, 2011

Math Monday - Our Family's Classic Math Lit.


Since we are on vacation at the beach, we haven't gotten very mathy.  In fact playing Rummikub is about as mathy as we've gotten, so far.



So I thought I'd just share the top three books my kids all enjoyed when it came to learning about numbers and math.




How Much is a Million?

How Much Is a Million? 20th Anniversary Edition (Reading Rainbow Books)


G is for Google


G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book


The I Hate Mathematics Book

Product Details

These are books my kids all have picked up on their own, time and again and enjoyed thoroughly.  They are old (in that they were around when I was teaching my oldest kids, so 12 or so years ago) but they are classics!

We never got into as many 'math literature' books as others.  I know some folks really specialize in discovering all sorts of books on math topics.  Not us!  But these three did a wonderful job at making reading and exploring math great fun for my kids.

Edit:  Oops!  I forgot to include the link for the Math Monday Blog Hop!  I was posting in a hurry!  Here's the link!

6 comments:

  1. Hello, sorry this is off topic but I can't find and email address or anything. I saw you posted on a forum somewhere that you tried a science book from OLV and disliked it. Can you tell me what it was? Was it the "exploring creation through..." series?

    Thanks,
    Steven@discoveringcatholicism.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steven. I think this was back when my oldest now in college was in 5th grade. We got the OLV Science book. It was charming in its old fashionness. However, my daughter did not like it. In the beginning section on astronomy it said that the earth revolved around the sun in a circle and my daughter pointed out that it was an ellipse not a circle. Also, they went on and on about how terrible Galileo was, but this was just after the Pope had issued his apology about the whole Galileo affair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. Well I'm looking at their website and it looks like they now use a set of science books called the "exploring creation through...(biology, zoology etc)" series and I'm wondering if the book you're referring to is one of these they use now or if perhaps it was old and now they've got new stuff.

    If the one you're referring to isn't the one they use anymore that would be great. Can you remember if that was the science book series? You can see the covers on their website, very distinctive so you probably would recognize them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These books were old Catholic texts that were reprints. if you are talking about the Apologia series, then that is different. however, the Apologia series is written from a Findamentalist Ceationist point of view so I'd exercise caution there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to sit down at our catholic bookstore and pour through it to see how extreme the angle is. Good think my son has another 4 years before he starts even kindergarten, so we've got plenty of time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it does sound like you have plenty time :) I have found that you have to decide whether you are more comfortable coming from a Fundamentalist Christian point of view and the correct by weaving in the Catholic viewpoint or if you'd rather use the secular point of view and then add in the Catholic view to that. But sadly there are few Catholic science texts that are contemporary and well done. However, I highly, highly recommend Catholic Heritage Curricula's science books in the early grades. In later grades we tend to use either secular or A Beka and then add in the Catholic point of view. A really helpful resource for this is Yehedgeschool.com HTH!

    ReplyDelete