The Nourishing Homestead: One Back-To-The-Land Family's Plan for Cultivating Soil, Skills and Spirit by Ben Hewitt
This was a really interesting read. My daydream is to be a homesteader which will never happen as I am too old and so coming to it too late. But I deeply admire those who turn their back on the shallow, consumeristic, rat race world and take the path less traveled (in modern times; it used to be the more traditional way of life!). This book is part memoir and part practical guide. Ben Hewitt and his wife Penney have been homesteading for 18 years on a 40 acre farm in Vermont. They have two boys they are raising on their farm (and unschooling!). He traces their beginnings and their initial vision through how it is has evolved and shifted. They started out wanting a simple, counter culture life who didn't really know what they were doing, but have found their methods and vision have changed over the years. They have moved to a more permaculture, regenerative style of agriculture with a focus on soil health and perennial planting. When they started they were both vegetarians but now raise and harvest their own meat. For many years they were entirely off grid until they realized they could actually be a bit more self-sufficient if they could use a little bit of electricity from the grid (with back ups!). However compared to the average household in America, they use an absolute pittance because they only use it in areas where it is absolutely necessary. They went from being those who just didn't 'do' guns to gun owners who see them as necessary to their homestead.
I enjoyed reading about the evolution of their homestead and the principles they embrace and want to live out in their lives. Hewitt doesn't dismiss the physical labor aspect of it, how much is trial and error, how little disposable income they have and how finances are always looming as a consideration. But he wouldn't trade it for all the world. He makes some income writing and otherwise they are mostly self sufficient. It seems to be a deeply satisfying, family-centered, nourishing and beautiful way to live.
After introducing us to their story and their philosophy of life, Hewitt gets practical. The various chapters cover homestead design, growing nutrient dense food, soil science, raising healthy livestock, animal slaughter and processing, infrastructure, skills and tools, dealing with financial limitations, and finally raising children on a homestead. The chapter on skills and tools I found especially interesting. He talks about learning to use a chain saw, how they got and use their tractor, etc. Just lots of insider tips on how to manage things. I read this book on my Kindle but I think if I really needed to use it as a reference if I ever did get a homestead, I'd want it in book form.
If you like reading about life in the country, this book is for you! For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:
Post a Comment