Tulsi Gabbard came out in defense of freedom of religion and she called Harris and Hawai'i's senator out on their violation. Wow, I thought! A Democrat who still believes in the Bill of Rights???
So she stood out to me.
Then I heard her talking about ending regime change wars. I've never liked how much our government sees itself as policeman to the world. I've never liked how much we interfere with other countries often to the detriment of that country and eventually our own self-interest. It does not behoove us to get involved in long dragged out local disputes. It tends to escalate them and our own sons and daughter pay the price. Many of them our poor who turn to the military because we really haven't developed a strong path for those who aren't college bound. The military industrial complex exploits the poor and it builds up wealth for the already wealthy. I live in the 1% bubble that is the DC metro area where most people are employed by the government. It is bloated and self-serving in many ways.
So I'm all for ending regime change war involvement. I'm also all for focusing in a more diplomatic and serious way on the new nuclear arms race. Let's bring that money back so we can spend it on our own citizens. This to me is how to make America great again. If our economy crumbles it will bring the whole world down with it. We have to be more fiscally responsible. People act like debt or the deficit doesn't matter. That's ludicrous! So we have to cut somewhere. Let's stop funding wars that aren't our business.
I have always thought it was a good idea for our commander in chief to have a little military experience under their belt. I'm tired of draft evaders running the White House, from Clinton to Bush Jr. to Trump. I really like that Tulsi Gabbard can bring that kind of experience to the Oval Office.
I really like that Tulsi Gabbard is truly into the environment. All these other Democratic candidates seem to me to just be pandering. I love that she is the only candidate who went to Standing Rock! She's been consistently pro-environment since the get to. When she talks about environmental issues, you can tell she really knows what she's talking about. She's not in the pocket of big business at all.
I really like that Tulsi appeals to conservatives or at least some conservatives and many independents. She really isn't partisan She just called out the Democratic governor of Puerto Rico for being corrupt. She didn't care that he was also a Democrat. She rises about party politics, way more than any other candidate. I love that she resigned from the DNC when she saw the corruption that shut out Sanders and pushed Hillary on unwilling voters.
She's a breath of fresh air. She seems so intelligent, wise, confident, respectful. I feel she truly believes in the integrity of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. She never name calls.
Are there things I disagree with? You bet! I am pro-life and she is not! BUT she never makes abortion an issue. She just doesn't talk about it. And she really seems like she would respect religious people who disagree on abortion. She wouldn't force nuns to pay for birth control and that sort of thing, which was a completely unnecessary aggressive ideological push from Obama. I just don't see her playing politics that way. I could be wrong but that's my impression. And no one else gives me that impression. I think with Trump appointing justices that will give Roe v. Wade a fair constitutional scrutiny at some point, I feel more comfortable about not making abortion the only factor. But if other Democrats get the nomination I think we will have an oppressive backlash and just as racism is being ginned up now under Trump, anti-religious fervor will be ginned up under any other Democrat. Either way someone will get persecuted. I don't see that happening under Tulsi.
I don't know how I feel about recreational pot. Well, I do know. I don't agree. I think it should be decriminalized in that people who smoke don't go to jail, but then I think only violent offenders should go to jail. I think all non-violent offenders should do home arrest, community service, pay fines and gets lots of support to leave their criminal lifestyle. I believe in rehabilitation not retribution for non-violent crimes. And I think the violent criminals in prison should get tons of help too with our express purpose being to help them turn their lives around and not just warehouse them in inhumane conditions.
I know I can't vote for Trump. He's a horrendous leader. He's so scary, so divisive. People on both sides of the aisle have Trump Derangement Syndrome. Those on the left are hysterics who don't know fact from fiction. He's awful enough without deliberately and hysterically propagandizing against him. The nay sayers are truly as deceptive and inflammatory as he is. But then you have Trump supports in whose eyes no matter how egregious his actions and words are, they defend him. They have turned him into a idol. Good Catholics I formerly respected have just succumbed to this temptation. It's terrible to see. And the bishops are so weak right now because of their horrible performance as church leaders over the last 50 years and their evil corruption. They have weakened themselves so that we are on the verge of schism.
Here's a statement Tulsi made about Trump's racist comments. What other candidate has the courage to directly address Trump supporters? She's remarkable! This week she just got some endorsements from the CEO of Twitter and some singer named Cardi B. I know B listens to her. I don't know her but I hope her influence helps voters wake up to the fact that Tulsi Gabbard can bring this country together again. She's smart, competent, her own woman who thinks for herself and she loves our country and the principles it stands for more than she loves bickering party power politics.
No comments:
Post a Comment