Sunday, February 3, 2019

Hittite Warrior - Book 4



Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson is a young adult novel published back in 1960 (my birth year).  It is set in the ancient world of tribes battling things out in the Western Semitic lands that stretch between Egypt and what is now Turkey.  That whole western half of the Mediterranean, and east towards Persia, was teaming with tribal warfare.  Many of these tribes are mentioned in the Old Testament.  We not only meet Hittites and Egyptians but Philistines, Canaanites and Hebrews as well as others who are mentioned, those from the kingdom of Cush, etc.

The plot takes place when the formerly great Hittite kingdom is toppling.  Hundreds of years before the Hittites had won a great battle against an expansionist Egypt and had been mortal enemies ever since.  But now the Hittite kingdom has fallen to the sea people, and tribes are battling each other for a new balance of power.  Uriah-Tarhund is a Hittite who, after the death of his family, is seeking refuge with his father's friend, Sisera, a Canaanite general.  But he first gets taken in by a kind family from the city of Tyre.  Here he learns about the awful god Moloch who demands child sacrifice to mollify him.    He also meets Jotham, a Hebrew in exile, whose uncle has treacherously betrayed him.  Jotham winds up saving the next child to be sacrificed to Moloch and Uriah is unwillingly involved in the deed.  The three wind up seeking refuge in the hill country where they are taken in by a Hebrew tribe who happen to have the great Judge Deborah visiting them as they plot to overthrow their pagan oppressors. 

Lots of twists and turns and challenges for Uriah.  Lots of battles, of course.  He is a Hittite warrior.  The story is very well crafted, told and is steeped in history.  Even though the plot is complicated, it zips along.  Since I had just finished reading The History of the Ancient World, I recognized many of the historical events the author draws from. 

This was a reread for me.  I read it many years ago, I guess when we were covering Ancient history with my older kids, though I don't remember reading it out loud to them. 

Anyway, I highly recommend this book.  A very well written, historical novel probably for grades 6 and up.  I do think it would help in comprehension to have a little bit of background on what was going on during the time period before reading.

Two thumbs up!  For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment